Battery punctiliously Leaked - Hazard? micro volcano - + dent in backcover

This is the battery of a MacBook Air M2 that I bought off an online marketplace a few days ago like this (did not manage to get it turned on even once). It’s still under 1 year warranty, but Apple told me it has water damage and it wouldn’t be covered and repair wasn’t worth it.

So I had a look at it.

None of the LCIs Liquid Indicators seems to have reacted as far as I can tell and it seems like it actually isn’t water but actual battery fluid that has leaked (!) and they may have thought it was water (?) -.-

How common is this? I have only found one other topic with a picture that resembles this phenomenon - but it’s on a different device (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253233966).

There isnt any corrosion as far as I can see, but this looks like an actual production issue and should be covered by warranty, right?

The pierced/punctured volcano even left a dent on the inside of the backcover.

As I was planning to actually use this device, what are my options here?

This seems like a severe security flaw, doesn’t it? Why was no fuse actually stopping this from happening? How is that even possible!

This actually may have ended way worse than just a discharge that pierced its way through the battery and stopped at the back cover, or is this expected behavior/normal?

Anyone seen similar cases before?

Any advice appreciated

Also, I can’t find any info on where all of the LCI Liquid indicators are, does anyone have that? (I could only find one that was for an older version of the MacBook Air)

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on May 21, 2023 5:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2023 7:59 AM

Regardless of any of the details, this unit is unsafe if it's leaking battery contents and needs to be serviced or recycled ASAP. If the battery has been pierced, sooner or later (sooner I'd guess) you're to have a serious hazard on your hands.

9 replies

May 22, 2023 8:40 AM in response to babowa

No Chance. private person on local marketplace - no private guarantee or refunds whatsoever unfortunately.

But this isn’t the actual issue here: But the above comment mentions it correctly: no matter what this battery has caused it: it needs to be taken proper care of and recycled obviously: but the laptop went to Apple twice (!) already and they claim these tiny piercings are just water stains or something and not an issue: but obviously the overall fluid stains do look like it came from the batterie that leaked - not sugar or corrosion or anything as far as I compared images.

My best guess is that there might have been a water damage at first that resulted in an immediate shutdown. But then the user probably did not dry it long enough and tried to turn in on again shortly after maybe and max have even put an USB-C charger in the drained machine again maybe. Resulting in an attempt to charge the battery or something like that 🤷

but the thing is: I don’t know and probably won’t find out.

so I still need similar examples of this kind of damage, as this does not seem to happen often. Usually batteries tend to change their shape etc but I have not seen tiny volcanos ever before.

May 22, 2023 5:28 AM in response to 4r11e

4r11e wrote:.
This is the battery of a MacBook Air M2 that I bought off an online marketplace a few days ago like this (did not manage to get it turned on even once). .....

From the way you state, it sounds like you purchased a used Mac online?

If this is true, then you need to deal with who ever you got this from and return it and get your money back.

If this is not possible, then you will be stuck replacing the battery out of your own pocket since the original factory warranty is only valid for the original purchaser. This is generally true for most all electronic products and most appliances.

May 22, 2023 5:53 AM in response to woodmeister50

I am located in a country where this does not seem to apply as this usually isn’t the issue in my experience (I have been buying second hand / on eBay etc almost my entire life and rarely buy in store or new at all and never heared of this). As long as I have the original receipt and the product itself

of course. And it is also a strong reason to bid for a product if it still is covered!

But thanks anyhow on your reply.

I am ok if they actually don’t repair or replace anything but someone has to come up with a valid explanation how this was even possible. I went around town in a few repair shops today and showed them the pictures and none of them had ever had ever seen a battery that did such a punctual discharge that looked this way. And definitely would have not expected this was actually the current M2 Air…

so, any experts around?

May 22, 2023 10:43 AM in response to babowa

I did not know when I bought it of course! But even if (!) why should I not want to try to get it working or at least to actually figure out why the battery has leaked (and why everyone pretends as if this was a typical water damage or anything) - it clearly is not - that’s the point. I mean, I even had one person in a repair shop try to convince me that this wasn’t punctured but actually some “sugars in the liquid that has been spilled that must have concentrated on those spots and that it isnt anything to worry about and the battery would be fine…while he desperately was trying to rub and scratch them away with his fingers 😬.

I mean, come on, how much does it take until someone who actually has seen this kind of a battery discharge before is able to approve or disapprove that all of the “watermarks” indeed actually are battery fluid stains from within the machine. Meaning the liquid source might actually have been the battery itself.

[Edited by Moderator]

also, why is none of the LCI Liquid Indicators next to the stains has flipped/turned red?

May 22, 2023 11:48 AM in response to 4r11e

First, those look like punctures in the battery cells. The previous owner did something to cause those punctures.

Second, Apple is using a different style of Liquid Contact Sensors which are now black which require a blacklight to check if they have been triggered. Since the liquid sensors are only located one here, another there, there are large gaps where liquid can enter the laptop in between those sensors.

FYI, there is actually very little actual chemical material inside the Lithium batteries. It is not unusual for Apple to mistake some things for liquid damage or corrosion....I've had it happen to us a few times, but Apple will not budge. You may have better luck with an Apple Authorized Service Provider especially if they repair more than just Macs.

You will need to decide if it is worth the cost & risk to replace the battery since you may not know if anything else is possibly damaged if Apple is correct that there is actual liquid damage to the laptop. If an AASP won't help you, then check out OWC for a replacement battery if you want to try replacing the battery yourself. OWC has official resellers in various regions as well. At least with this MBAir you do have the ability to remove the battery, but even with those pull tabs (about 10) it isn't exactly easy since it takes a while to carefully stretch each adhesive strip in order to remove the strips (don't allow them to break or it is even more difficult).

May 22, 2023 12:57 PM in response to HWTech

Thank you so much. Appreciate it a lot. I was starting to actually believe that I was starting to get delusional. Thanks for confirming that this actually is a pierced/punctured battery indeed even though one can only actually see that rupture using a microscope or macro lense, and indeed not just sugar or a smudge that should be rubbed/cleaned away🙏

Have a great day

Battery punctiliously Leaked - Hazard? micro volcano - + dent in backcover

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.