PROBLEMS to playing video codec sony a7s3 at 100fps- macos ventura 13.4

After upgrading to version ventura 13.4, all video clips with the video codec of the sony a7s3 at 100 fps , videoCodec="AVC280_3840_2160_H422P@L6" captureFps="100p" formatFps="100p"/>

Can't see the image!!! I only hear the clip. the clip plays but you only hear it, BLACK SCREEN but with audio.

Happens to me in any apple player, quictime player or editing program, final cut pro x.

The Macos Ventura 13.4 and 13.5 operating system is not compatible with these files.

Be careful when upgrading.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Please help!

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on May 22, 2023 5:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2023 4:27 PM

same here, I got a post about it as well. this issue is HUGE, it will soon affect a lot of people. this needs to be acknowledged and fixed asap, literally cannot work right now.

please report the issue here:

Feedback - macOS - Apple

the more reports they will get maybe it will speed up the fix.

btw, a temporary fix is to use handbrake to convert the footage to h265 10bit, use about 200mbit so you won't lose quality, its extremely slow to do so though.

100 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2023 4:27 PM in response to FoxTogo

same here, I got a post about it as well. this issue is HUGE, it will soon affect a lot of people. this needs to be acknowledged and fixed asap, literally cannot work right now.

Feedback - macOS - Apple

btw, a temporary fix is to use handbrake to convert the footage to h265 10bit, use about 200mbit so you won't lose quality, its extremely slow to do so though.

May 23, 2023 9:36 AM in response to FoxTogo

I found a solution... Ventura 13.1 it’s OK! 🥳

For this... you need to erase the HD and do a clean install.

I manually backed up some important files and created a terminal bootable USB stick with the OS 13.1 file.

Files recorded in 120 and mLut plugin (Final Cut) are working.

--

Direct download macOS Ventura 13.1

https://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/30/37/012-60271-A_QUUGE8KIJ8/yp0xtj55orcpxszdtd13xjhujppspsztj3/InstallAssistant.pkg

Guide for creation a USB Bootable

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Jun 1, 2023 7:20 AM in response to svensmediahouse

Until this day, still NO SOLUTION! It is a serious issue as I see that there are many people who are going through THIS and that means paralyzing all production unless you perform a downgrade.

I don't know if anyone contemplates what we are losing....

Please let anyone who has this happen to keep calling apple and let them know.

Ventura 13.4 DOES NOT WORK with VIDEOS AT 100 fps!

Jul 12, 2023 3:27 AM in response to RothVideos

RothVideos wrote:

Feedback - macOS - Apple

same in my side as i get updated to new version my all stored videos about my pet got blanked only audio is working i am much worried about this because it was only memory of my cat.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

May 23, 2023 7:24 AM in response to FoxTogo

what did you try? did you got the installer on the bootable drive?

using terminal, put in softwareupdate --list-full-installers

you can see which installers are available to download

then

1. softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version **.**.*

*= version number

then it will download the installer to your applications folder

have you tried that?

Jun 26, 2023 12:19 AM in response to FoxTogo

I tried to make an easier tutorial for the ones that want to go back on 13.3.1 because I did and it works perfectly

How to Download the Downgrade Installer:

• Open Terminal (you can find it in the Applications/Utilities folder).
  • Enter the following command and press Enter:
Copy code
softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 13.3.1This command will download the full macOS 13.3.1 installer. (It is slow) 

Create a bootable installer:

• Connect a USB drive formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) to your Mac.
    • Open Terminal.
  • Run the following command, replacing "MyVolume" with the name of your USB drive (make sure to keep the quotation marks if your volume name contains spaces):
Copy code
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume "/Volumes/MyVolume"

This command will create a bootable macOS installer on the USB drive.

Back up your Mac using Time Machine:

• Connect an external storage device to your Mac.
    • Open System Preferences from the Apple menu.
    • Click on "Time Machine" and follow the instructions to set up and perform a backup.

Wipe the entire drive:

• Select "Disk Utility" and click Continue.
    • Choose your main startup disk from the list on the left.
    • Click on the "Erase" tab and select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format.
    • Give your drive a name and click "Erase" to wipe the drive.

Reinstall macOS 13.3.1:

• Power off your Mac.
    • Turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold for about 10seconds
    • From the macOS Utilities window, select "Reinstall macOS" and click Continue.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions and select your freshly erased drive as the destination for the installation.
    • Wait for the installation to complete.

Restart the Mac after the update:

• After the installation finishes, your Mac will restart.
    • Use your Time Machine back up Skip the update to macOS 13.4 for now.

Install Rosetta 2 manually it is important or programs like what's app will crash automatically at opening with no reasons:

• Open Terminal.
  • Enter the following command and press Enter:
css

Copy code
softwareupdate --install-rosetta

This command will install Rosetta 2, which is necessary for running apps that use the Rosetta translation layer.

Once you've completed these steps, you should have successfully downgraded your macOS to version 13.3.1 and installed Rosetta 2. Remember to restore your files from the Time Machine backup and proceed with caution when modifying your system.

Jul 4, 2023 12:43 AM in response to FoxTogo

Hi, definitely also have this problem but I would suggest doing this transcoding process via Premiere Pro (if that workflow fits to you) until Apple has sorted it out:

1. Open Premiere Pro
  2. Import all the files that didn't work anywhere else
  3. Select them in Browser > Right Click > Modify > Interpret Footage > Assume this Frame Rate: > Choose your desired Frame rate, if you shot in 100fps, I'd recommend 25 (PAL), if you shot in 119,88fps, I'd recommend 29,97 (NTSC)
  4. Bring all files together into one sequence
  5. Export Sequence as ProRes 422
  6. Use that file

One thing I didn't try yet is to just modify the footage as 25 and then batch export those files individually from Premiere (probably works too). This might be useful for some, although certain metadata might get lost with it. But definitely easy workaround for right now.

Jul 9, 2023 5:56 PM in response to FoxTogo

Hello, I am facing a problem similar to yours. After updating to Ventura 13.4.1, none of my 4k 100 fps videos can be played on QuickTime or Davinci Resolve, but they work fine on Adobe. Unfortunately, all my projects are on Davinci, and I didn't initially realize the connection between the update and the issue.

To try and solve the problem, I formatted my MacBook Pro twice, causing me to lose all my settings and reference points. I am now hoping to revert to the previous version, as I have ongoing timelines that I am working on. I am forced to switch to my PC for the time being, but I am fortunate to have saved all my projects.

I am hoping for a quick solution to this problem. Thank you for your attention.

May 22, 2023 5:42 AM in response to FoxTogo

FoxTogo wrote:

Does this happen to anyone else?

Yes. There are numerous other posts on the same topic.

Be careful when upgrading.

Alas, that is only the correct solution.

For some time, I've been suggesting that people who depend on a Mac for their livelihoods maintain a separate Mac for testing software updates. That way, when something breaks, you have advance warning. You can continue to use your production system until the next version gets fixed. You can defer any updates to the production system until you are absolutely certain that everything is going to work.

This is the way.

May 23, 2023 6:56 AM in response to FoxTogo

Hello everyone, I found a solution to be able to continue working. It worked for me.

But before you do anything make sure you have everything copied somewhere else, it could be sessions, resolve libraries, plugins, color profiles, everything that has value, programs, etc...

First make a bootable disk with monterey on a pendrive. In this same community you have the explanation of how to make a bootable disk from any mac m1 mac or m1 intel.

On another hard disk you have to make a backup with time machine of the Ventura version you are using.

Restart the computer with the instructions starting with monterey, the new operating system. Once in monterey, go to utilities and use the migration wizard to recover the data from the backup you have made on that separate hard disk.

The operating system that remains is Monterey.

The doubt that I had is if I made the downgrade could recover the data from the copy of a superior system such as Ventura, and indeed from utilities - migration wizard copies the data from your backup, in Monterey, does not install ventura, so you can continue working in Monterey, (which does read all types of files 100fps).

I hope I can help, because for me it has been crazy, I could see myself losing all my time and effort.

May 23, 2023 7:19 AM in response to FoxTogo

FoxTogo wrote:

Hello everyone, I found a solution to be able to continue working. It worked for me.

But before you do anything make sure you have everything copied somewhere else, it could be sessions, resolve libraries, plugins, color profiles, everything that has value, programs, etc...

First make a bootable disk with monterey on a pendrive. In this same community you have the explanation of how to make a bootable disk from any mac m1 mac or m1 intel.
On another hard disk you have to make a backup with time machine of the Ventura version you are using.

Restart the computer with the instructions starting with monterey, the new operating system. Once in monterey, go to utilities and use the migration wizard to recover the data from the backup you have made on that separate hard disk.

The operating system that remains is Monterey.
The doubt that I had is if I made the downgrade could recover the data from the copy of a superior system such as Ventura, and indeed from utilities - migration wizard copies the data from your backup, in Monterey, does not install ventura, so you can continue working in Monterey, (which does read all types of files 100fps).

I hope I can help, because for me it has been crazy, I could see myself losing all my time and effort.

why did you downgrade to Monterey? why not to 13.3.1? it was pretty stable and security wise its better. if it works with 13.3.1 I'll do it

PROBLEMS to playing video codec sony a7s3 at 100fps- macos ventura 13.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.