lost phone

how do i block an iphone that has been lost or stolen if i bought it second hand?

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on May 23, 2023 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2023 7:53 AM

Start here:

Locate a device in Find My on iPad - Apple Support

Here is Apple’s advice for lost or stolen devices:

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch is lost or stolen – Apple Support

Use the Find My app to locate a lost or stolen device – Apple Support

If the Find My iPhone feature was enabled prior to it being “misplaced”, then if active, you would stand a good chance of locating it. 

However, if the feature was not activated prior to being misplaced - or the iPad has been inactive for more than 24 hours, the last known location will not be available - and the opportunity to use technical means to manage or recover the iPad have been lost. You would be well advised to contact your Cellular Carrier.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2023 7:53 AM in response to imissmyoldphone_

Start here:

Locate a device in Find My on iPad - Apple Support

Here is Apple’s advice for lost or stolen devices:

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch is lost or stolen – Apple Support

Use the Find My app to locate a lost or stolen device – Apple Support

If the Find My iPhone feature was enabled prior to it being “misplaced”, then if active, you would stand a good chance of locating it. 

However, if the feature was not activated prior to being misplaced - or the iPad has been inactive for more than 24 hours, the last known location will not be available - and the opportunity to use technical means to manage or recover the iPad have been lost. You would be well advised to contact your Cellular Carrier.

May 23, 2023 7:53 AM in response to imissmyoldphone_

It doesn’t matter how you got it, as long as it was logged in to your Apple ID. Here is a link to Apple’s recommendations→If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

Also, beware of a common phishing scam: You may get a text or email from “Apple” or “Apple Security” (or sometimes “Police”) saying your phone has been found and to click on a link to see its location. This is NEVER from Apple or from law enforcement; it is from the thief or fence to steal your Apple ID and identity. Delete any such message without responding to it. Apple never gets involved in lost or stolen devices→Avoid phishing emails, fake ‘virus‘ alerts, phony support calls, and other scams

lost phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.