Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple Motion cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID.

We got the Apple Pro Apps Bundle for Education with our new Mac. Today there where App Store updates for Apple Motion, Final Cut Pro and Compressor. The updates for the latter two ran just fine but for Motion we get the following message: Motion cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID.

All apps came pre-installed with the Mac so confused why some did update just fine and Motion did not as all were purchased together with the same Apple ID.

Steps I tried were to re-start the Computer, sign out and back in with my apple ID. I also moved Motion to the trash with the hopes I can re-install but got prompted for new purchase so stopped there. This made me suspicous and I checked the list of purchased apps. In the list I noticed that all other Pro Apps from the Bundle were there but Motion was missing, which is probably the root cause for the update issues. Not sure whether this could be the result of recent Ventura update.

Anyone any idea how I can sort this out myself (without new purchase obviously ;-) Have a feeling though that the only way to resolve this will be to call Apple Support.

Mac Studio (2022)

Posted on May 26, 2023 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2023 11:50 PM

Have contacted Apple Support. Deleting a file from the library and restarting the Mac could not resolve the issue. Only option left now ist to have Apple Pro Apps experts re-enable Motion on my ID and will then again have to delete the Library file and re-start. That should allow me to once more add Motion to my Apple ID.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2023 11:50 PM in response to sn0brdr

Have contacted Apple Support. Deleting a file from the library and restarting the Mac could not resolve the issue. Only option left now ist to have Apple Pro Apps experts re-enable Motion on my ID and will then again have to delete the Library file and re-start. That should allow me to once more add Motion to my Apple ID.

May 27, 2023 3:44 PM in response to Niel

Went to the App Store, clicked on my name and list of my purchases was displayed. Motion was missing from the list and there was no mention to accept into my ID anywhere on the screen.

When I check in the System Report under Applications, I can see Motion and in "Obtained from" column I can see "App Store". I guess I will have to contact Apple Support in that case.

Apple Motion cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.