Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Where is Airplay?

I have iPad5 model MP2G2LL/A OS 16.5

I want to use iPad to connect to Sony A8H smart TV and or to Samsung HW-S61B sound bar. On the iPad, I don't see any Airplay icon.

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on May 27, 2023 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2023 6:44 AM

First, terminology…. “Hard Reset” is not a term found within Apple’s iPad Lexicon. A malfunctioning iPad can, if necessary, be force-restarted or restored. Both require the iPad to be powered on; the latter required a Mac or Windows PC computer.

If AirPlay is both supported by and enabled on your TV - if AirPlay is not available - your WiFi Router may be may be unexpectedly failing to pass Apple Bonjour traffic on you local network - or your WiFi Router or Network Switch may be blocking this (or other) device discovery protocol(s).

This can occur for a number of reasons. Ensure that your TV and iPad are using the same WiFi network - and that wired and wireless network segments are part of the same IP-subnet, are not defined as separate VLANs - or that one or other are defined as “guest” networks, or placed in a DMZ. You may find that your router has a setting that limits/restricts broadcast and network discovery traffic; by example, if your Router has an IGMP Snooping setting, try toggling this or similar settings. Your Router WiFi settings may also have privacy settings that isolate WiFi clients from each other; if present, ensure these settings are disabled.

The Apple Bonjour protocol uses mDNS (Multicast DNS) UDP port 5353.

You may find that restart of your network components will resolve the problem. You’ll need to restart your network devices in the correct order. Assuming that you WiFi Router provides DNS services for your network, restart devices in this order - allowing time for devices to fully boot/restart prior to restarting other devices:

• WiFi Router
  • Upstream wired Network Switch(es)
  • WiFi Access Points / Network Extenders
  • Other fixed infrastructure devices - such as Printers
  • Client devices

Restarting your iPad, after restarting other devices in the correct sequence, is most simply achieved by a forced-restart of the iPad:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2023 6:44 AM in response to Morphy6

First, terminology…. “Hard Reset” is not a term found within Apple’s iPad Lexicon. A malfunctioning iPad can, if necessary, be force-restarted or restored. Both require the iPad to be powered on; the latter required a Mac or Windows PC computer.

If AirPlay is both supported by and enabled on your TV - if AirPlay is not available - your WiFi Router may be may be unexpectedly failing to pass Apple Bonjour traffic on you local network - or your WiFi Router or Network Switch may be blocking this (or other) device discovery protocol(s).

This can occur for a number of reasons. Ensure that your TV and iPad are using the same WiFi network - and that wired and wireless network segments are part of the same IP-subnet, are not defined as separate VLANs - or that one or other are defined as “guest” networks, or placed in a DMZ. You may find that your router has a setting that limits/restricts broadcast and network discovery traffic; by example, if your Router has an IGMP Snooping setting, try toggling this or similar settings. Your Router WiFi settings may also have privacy settings that isolate WiFi clients from each other; if present, ensure these settings are disabled.

The Apple Bonjour protocol uses mDNS (Multicast DNS) UDP port 5353.

You may find that restart of your network components will resolve the problem. You’ll need to restart your network devices in the correct order. Assuming that you WiFi Router provides DNS services for your network, restart devices in this order - allowing time for devices to fully boot/restart prior to restarting other devices:

• WiFi Router
  • Upstream wired Network Switch(es)
  • WiFi Access Points / Network Extenders
  • Other fixed infrastructure devices - such as Printers
  • Client devices

Restarting your iPad, after restarting other devices in the correct sequence, is most simply achieved by a forced-restart of the iPad:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

May 28, 2023 7:39 AM in response to Morphy6

To reiterate - Apple does not refer to a “hard reset”. A forced-restart, which is documented by Apple, will restart the iPad; this process is only a “reset” in the sense that the CPU is completely restarted - and forces all processes to re-initialise. No data will be lost or deleted.

A forced-restart is performed with the iPad turned-on.

When your restarts, you will need to enter your iPad Passcode. In very rare circumstances, you may also be prompted for your AppleID and associated Password.

May 27, 2023 7:59 PM in response to Morphy6

After ANY iOS/iPadOS upgrade/update, you should ALWAYS perform a simple hard reset/forced restart of your Apple mobile device.

For iPad models with a Home button, do a simple hard reset/forced restart of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake/power button simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

OR

For much newer design iPad models, without a Home button, try the new simple hard reset/forced restart procedure for the new 2018-2022 iPad Pros, 2020/21 iPad Air 4 and 5, the 2021 iPad Mini 6 and the new 2022, 10th gen base models,

1. Press and release the volume button closest to the top Power button

2. Then immediately press and release the volume button farthest from the top Power button.

3. Then, press and hold the top single sleep/wake/power button You will see the Slide to Power off button, but keep on holding down the power button until you see the Apple logo, then let it go.

Once you have performed all the steps, wait for a few seconds and your 2018-2022 iPad will boot up completely to the iPad’s Lock screen.

Best of Luck to You!

May 28, 2023 6:29 AM in response to MichelPM

MichelPM:

Thanks for a detailed answer and an interesting concept. As I've never done a hard reset of my iPad Pro in 5 years, I have a couple of questions:

1) Do I do the hard reset with iPad on or off?

2) How do I get back into iPad after reset when I see the logo? Do I need passcode and if so, how do I check in advance that I have the right one?

Thanks

May 28, 2023 7:32 AM in response to Morphy6

Lotus:

That was an interesting reply although I didn't understand most of it. I still haven't done the hard reset or forced reset as I'm stuck on the basics:

1) Does one do this reset with the iPad on or off?

2) When the Apple logo comes up after the hard or forced reset, what information do I need to input to get back into the iPad?

Where is Airplay?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.