AppleTV 4K and AirPods Pro 2 for Dolby Atmos movies.

I am attempting to get Dolby Atmos in movies, from the AppleTV 4K using AirPods Pro 2 and an older TV with an ARC HDMI input. It appears I am missing some part of the configuration to do so, since there is no option for Dolby Atmos in my Settings. The answer to the following question may help.

Do I need a full Home Theater setup to get the Dolby Atmos to work with my Airpods Pro 2 headset? Must I have a sound bar or AV receiver or any other components other than the Apple TV 4K and the AirPods Pro 2?

I suppose another way of asking is, does the AppleTV 4K decode the Dolby Atmos or does it need another component to do so?

I am aware of the process to set up a Home Theater Speaker system for Dolby Atmos but am hoping that type of setup would not be necessary. I have seen many of the Apple instructions on this but still not working.

Apple Music on the AppleTV 4K, seems to work normally with this configuration and shows Dolby Atmos in that App's settings.

Thanks for reading.

Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)

Posted on May 28, 2023 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2023 2:35 PM

Well, the answer is now official.

After setting up a Sound Bar and AppleTV 4K showing Dolby Atmos was active, the Airpods Pro jumped right back to 5.1. So, they do not work with Movie Dolby Atmos but they do work Apple Music Dolby Atmos.

This is a disappointment.

Take care.

12 replies

May 28, 2023 2:06 PM in response to Saltgrass

Saltgrass wrote:

You seem to be implying that the Airpods Pro will not work in this situation.

I’m saying you told us you have an older TV, which presumably does not support Dolby Atmos. Therefore, you fail to meet the “Setups you can use” requirement.

And I am not at all implying AirPods Pro won’t work. The subject is whether Dolby Atmos will work.

May 28, 2023 1:46 PM in response to sberman

I have read that one several times. You seem to be implying that the Airpods Pro will not work in this situation.

Maybe what I was reading regarding this and allowing Dolby Atmos was only in regard to a normal Home Theater setup and had no bearing on the AirPods Pro. I just don't remember anything specifying you could only use Dolby Atmos with the Apple Music app.

Thanks for the reply.

May 28, 2023 2:31 PM in response to sberman

You might be right, but that is why I asked if other components were required.

When you use the Airpods Pro with Apple TV, you chose them to produce the sound. Does that sound still go to the AV Receiver for processing? There are some operational possibilities about situation which I do not have the knowledge to understand.

I suppose I will, for now, just assume the AirPods will not do what I expected. I also just learned today, an AV Receiver with Bluetooth, will only send Stereo audio to wireless Bluetooth headphones. Maybe there is some type of restriction involved with over the air type of signals.

Thanks again.

May 28, 2023 2:51 PM in response to Saltgrass

Saltgrass wrote:

When you use the Airpods Pro with Apple TV, you chose them to produce the sound.

Well, sort of. Yes, they generate the sound waves your ears sense. But they do so based on signals they receive from other equipment they rely on. And those signals can only carry the complexity of their weakest component.

In the case of old TV —> Apple TV —> AirPods Pro, that old TV is the weakest component.

May 29, 2023 5:36 AM in response to sberman

The Bluetooth Radio for the Airpods is in the AppleTV box. I am not sure what other components might affect that operation. Possibly, just the physical connection to a qualified system would complete the requirements.

I really wish I had some components to test but I am afraid if I go out and spend a great deal of money acquiring them, it still won't work.

I watched a movie on my iPhone yesterday and Dolby Atmos was available for the AirPods Pro.

Since I have been looking at upgrading, it may happen in the next couple of months, and if I find the answer, for sure, I will post back.

Thanks for your help.

May 31, 2023 7:40 AM in response to sberman

I just used AirPlay for the first time and it does allow using an iPhone X, and others, to allow AppleTV 4k to playback Dolby Atmos with the AirPods Pro 2, just like the Apple Music does.

When, or if, I get my new equipment, I will post back if I see anything differently. But the thread will probably be closed by then.

Thanks again.

Jun 12, 2024 7:13 AM in response to sberman

If I may chime in, somebody just resolved this issue for me in the german forum (albeit the headphones there were the ipods Max). The crucial thing here is I think, if the content comes from an online streaming provider and goes through the apple TV Box first, then the TV does not matter. The box sends dolby atmos to capable apple headphones. If the content comes from a device hooked up locally through the TV, then eARC is required for dolby atmos playback.

I never tested this, but the logic seems compelling to me.

AppleTV 4K and AirPods Pro 2 for Dolby Atmos movies.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.