random double spaces

I get random double spaces inserted when I type. It's been happening for as long as I can remember. It's not a key board problem. It happen with my MBP 2020, My new M2 Air and my Studio with both magic keyboard and a new Satechi kbd. The text above and you will see extra spaces. Key repeat is off and delay is max delay.

Mac Studio (2022)

Posted on May 30, 2023 12:31 PM

2 replies

Jun 7, 2024 10:20 AM in response to davidirwin

I was having the same problem and it just kept getting worse over time. Initially the only advice I found was to change keyboard settings, like you mentioned, or else go to Apple to get the keyboard hardware fixed/ replaced. Finally I found 2 more options deep in a thread: to tap the spacebar kinda hard several times, and to press it down firmly and run your finger down the whole length of it. I did both a couple times and it helped a LOT. I went from double spaces almost every other word to a double space maybe once per sentence or two. Might be worth a shot.

May 30, 2023 2:30 PM in response to davidirwin

I understand how frustrating it could be when your typing flow gets disrupted due to these random double spaces. Let's try a few things to get to the bottom of this.

Since you're experiencing this on multiple devices and keyboards, this makes me think the issue might not be hardware-related but possibly linked to the settings or software. If you're using a particular text editing software or a specific app while this happens, it might be related to the settings or even a bug within that app.

First, I would suggest checking your settings in System Preferences -> Keyboard. There's an option called "Add full stop with double-space." While this isn't exactly what you're experiencing, it's worth disabling it to see if that helps.

Next, let's rule out any potential software or app-specific issue. Try typing in different applications and see if you experience the same problem. If it's specific to one app, it's probably related to the settings or a bug in that application.

Lastly, have you been using any text expansion software or do you have any shortcuts set up in your Keyboard settings? These could potentially interfere with your typing and produce unexpected results. Check your System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Text for any shortcuts that might be causing this.

I hope these suggestions will help you get closer to resolving the issue. Let me know how it goes!

Reference:

1. Apple Support: Change the keyboard settings on your Mac

2. Apple Support: Use autocorrection

random double spaces

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.