My iWatch can not connect to my iPhone 14 Pro

I was given an iWatch for Mother’s Day. I am getting a message “The Apple ID cannot be used to unlock this Apple Watch.

This was a new iwatch. I can log into my iCloud account with this user ID so why won’t it work with the watch?

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on May 30, 2023 5:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2023 6:18 PM

Where was this  Watch purchased?

If the watch is already locked to someone else's Apple ID, this is not a new watch. It appears that this watch has the Activation Lock from the Apple ID of an original owner. Activation Lock prevents a lost or stolen Watch from being used by anyone else.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 13.4;  Watch, series 7 GPS/cellular, watchOS 9.5; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 16.5; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16.5; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 16.5; HomePods, audioOS 16.5 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2023 6:18 PM in response to IWatchConnectProblem

Where was this  Watch purchased?

If the watch is already locked to someone else's Apple ID, this is not a new watch. It appears that this watch has the Activation Lock from the Apple ID of an original owner. Activation Lock prevents a lost or stolen Watch from being used by anyone else.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 13.4;  Watch, series 7 GPS/cellular, watchOS 9.5; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 16.5; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16.5; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 16.5; HomePods, audioOS 16.5 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

May 30, 2023 6:21 PM in response to IWatchConnectProblem

It sounds like, for some reason, the watch has been Activation Locked. Perhaps it was a floor demo. Activation Lock is designed to prevent anyone else from using an Apple Watch if it's ever lost or stolen.

About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Activation Lock is an anti-theft feature that cannot be bypassed. Only the previous owner can remove the lock by using their Apple ID & password. Apple will not help you find the previous owner. If the previous owner cannot or will not remove the lock, then the watch is useless to you or anyone else. Try to get a refund or exchange (from where the watch was bought) or dispose of the watch properly. In the future, see the 'Before you buy a watch from a third-party' section in:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Apple Watch, or buy one from someone else - Apple Support

If all else fails, and If you are the ORIGINAL owner, then see the 'Start a support request' section in:

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

May 31, 2023 5:57 AM in response to IWatchConnectProblem

If your Apple Watch is not connecting to your iPhone 14 Pro, there are several troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Ensure Bluetooth is enabled: On your iPhone, go to Settings > Bluetooth and make sure it is turned on. The Apple Watch relies on Bluetooth connectivity to communicate with your iPhone.
  2. Restart both devices: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve connectivity issues. Restart your iPhone and Apple Watch by turning them off and then on again. To restart your Apple Watch, press and hold the side button until the Power Off slider appears, then drag the slider to turn it off. To turn it back on, press and hold the side button until the Apple logo appears.
  3. Check for software updates: Make sure your iPhone and Apple Watch are running the latest software versions. On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Software Update, and if an update is available, follow the prompts to install it. On your Apple Watch, go to the Watch app on your iPhone, then General > Software Update to check for updates.
  4. Reset network settings: Resetting network settings on your iPhone can sometimes help with connectivity issues. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Keep in mind that this will remove all saved Wi-Fi networks and passwords, so you'll need to reconnect to Wi-Fi networks afterward.
  5. Unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch: If the issue persists, you can try unpairing your Apple Watch from your iPhone and then re-pairing them. On your iPhone, open the Watch app, go to My Watch tab, tap on your watch at the top of the screen, then choose Unpair Apple Watch. Follow the prompts to complete the unpairing process. Afterward, you can set up your Apple Watch again and pair it with your iPhone.
  6. Contact Apple Support: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it's recommended to reach out to Apple Support or visit an Apple Store for further assistance. They can provide specific guidance and help troubleshoot any hardware or software-related issues.

Remember to ensure that your Apple Watch and iPhone are in close proximity during the troubleshooting process and that both devices have sufficient battery life.

May 31, 2023 6:21 AM in response to IWatchConnectProblem

I am sure this is not an Apple product ‘iWatch’. I know some people are trying to give advice without reading the details. The watch that is sold by Apple is called an Apple Watch and runs on watchOS. There are some fake watches with cloned serial numbers that would look like the original Apple Watch.

if you think your device is genuine, call apple support and they will take you through the device setup and confirm its state from their end.

My iWatch can not connect to my iPhone 14 Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.