Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Call Drop on iPhone 11

I have an iPhone SE, iPhone 11, iPhone 13. This issue persists only in iPhone 11 that too for over past 4 months. After the recent update iOS 16.5, most probably a week ago it has become more irritating. Calls are fine over the speaker or airpods or wired apple headphones but it always gets disconnected while on phone earpiece. I have gone through all the options of - a) resetting it as new, b) restore, c) apple store visit, d) carrier store visit, e) reset e-sim, f) sim card change. Still the issue didn’t resolve. It is completely a software issue which Apple is not at all trying to address. Calls are the basic necessity of any phone. Apple always keep pushing updates and it always comes up with more new bugs.

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on May 31, 2023 4:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2023 11:39 PM

There could be a few reasons why a voice call gets disconnected when you put an iPhone on speaker mode. Here are a few possible explanations:

1. Poor network coverage or a weak cellular signal can lead to call drops, especially when using speaker mode. The speakerphone feature may require a stronger signal to maintain a stable call, and if the signal strength drops significantly, the call may be disconnected.
  2. When you switch to speaker mode, the iPhone's microphone and speaker configurations change. If there is interference or a hardware issue with either the microphone or the speaker, it can result in call disconnections. Wireless interference: Power lines, radio, or television. transmitters, transformers, and other electronic devices may cause noise on the phone line. --> Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless ...
  3. iPhones typically have a proximity sensor that detects the position of the device relative to your face during a call. This sensor turns off the display and deactivates the touch screen to prevent accidental inputs. If there is a problem with the proximity sensor, it may mistakenly detect that the phone is close to your face, even when in speaker mode, leading to call disconnections.
  4. It's possible that you are accidentally pressing a button or gesture that turns on/off the speaker. Try being more mindful of your movements during a call to see if this is the issue.

If you're experiencing this problem of disconnection while on a voice call, it is recomended to try the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Ensure you have a strong cellular signal and good network coverage.
  2. Restart your iPhone and try again.
    1. Restart the device. That's it.
    2. Still not solved --> Force restart iPhone - Apple Support
  3. Update your iPhone's software to the latest iOS version.
  4. Disable any Bluetooth connections, as they can interfere with speakerphone functionality.
  5. Reset your iPhone's settings to default by going to Settings > General > Transfer or reset iPhone > Reset > Reset All Settings. All settings—including network settings, the keyboard dictionary, the Home screen layout, location settings, privacy settings, and Apple Pay cards—are removed or reset to their defaults. No data or media are deleted.
    1. Reset All Settings: Return iPhone settings to their defaults - Apple Support:- Return iPhone settings to their defaults
    2. You can return settings to their defaults without erasing your content.
    3. If you want to save your settings, back up your iPhone before returning them to their defaults. For example, if you’re trying to solve a problem but returning settings to their defaults doesn’t help, you might want to restore your previous settings from a backup.

If the issue persists, consider contacting Apple Support or visiting an authorized service center for further assistance.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2023 11:39 PM in response to gokulchowdhary

There could be a few reasons why a voice call gets disconnected when you put an iPhone on speaker mode. Here are a few possible explanations:

1. Poor network coverage or a weak cellular signal can lead to call drops, especially when using speaker mode. The speakerphone feature may require a stronger signal to maintain a stable call, and if the signal strength drops significantly, the call may be disconnected.
  2. When you switch to speaker mode, the iPhone's microphone and speaker configurations change. If there is interference or a hardware issue with either the microphone or the speaker, it can result in call disconnections. Wireless interference: Power lines, radio, or television. transmitters, transformers, and other electronic devices may cause noise on the phone line. --> Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless ...
  3. iPhones typically have a proximity sensor that detects the position of the device relative to your face during a call. This sensor turns off the display and deactivates the touch screen to prevent accidental inputs. If there is a problem with the proximity sensor, it may mistakenly detect that the phone is close to your face, even when in speaker mode, leading to call disconnections.
  4. It's possible that you are accidentally pressing a button or gesture that turns on/off the speaker. Try being more mindful of your movements during a call to see if this is the issue.

If you're experiencing this problem of disconnection while on a voice call, it is recomended to try the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Ensure you have a strong cellular signal and good network coverage.
  2. Restart your iPhone and try again.
    1. Restart the device. That's it.
    2. Still not solved --> Force restart iPhone - Apple Support
  3. Update your iPhone's software to the latest iOS version.
  4. Disable any Bluetooth connections, as they can interfere with speakerphone functionality.
  5. Reset your iPhone's settings to default by going to Settings > General > Transfer or reset iPhone > Reset > Reset All Settings. All settings—including network settings, the keyboard dictionary, the Home screen layout, location settings, privacy settings, and Apple Pay cards—are removed or reset to their defaults. No data or media are deleted.
    1. Reset All Settings: Return iPhone settings to their defaults - Apple Support:- Return iPhone settings to their defaults
    2. You can return settings to their defaults without erasing your content.
    3. If you want to save your settings, back up your iPhone before returning them to their defaults. For example, if you’re trying to solve a problem but returning settings to their defaults doesn’t help, you might want to restore your previous settings from a backup.

If the issue persists, consider contacting Apple Support or visiting an authorized service center for further assistance.

Aug 26, 2023 1:36 AM in response to gokulchowdhary

Iphone 11 call drop issue

I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to bring to your attention a concerning issue I have been facing with my iPhone 11 for the past four months.

Over this period, I have experienced persistent call drops that have significantly impacted my ability to communicate effectively. Despite having exhausted all troubleshooting steps recommended by Apple Support and changing the SIM card multiple times, the problem remains unresolved.

The call drop issue occurs across various locations and networks, indicating that it is not isolated to a specific area. This leads me to believe that there might be an underlying hardware or software issue causing this problem. As a loyal iPhone user for several years, I have not encountered such an extended and frustrating problem before.

I kindly request your assistance in resolving this matter as soon as possible. Given that I rely heavily on my phone for both personal and professional communication, the call drop issue has created a considerable inconvenience.

I would appreciate it if you could arrange for a thorough inspection of my iPhone 11 to identify the root cause of the problem. If necessary, I am willing to bring the device to an Apple Store or an authorized service center for further assessment.

Please let me know the best course of action to proceed and if there are any steps I need to follow from my end. Your prompt attention to this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Sep 15, 2023 2:14 AM in response to gokulchowdhary

I had precisely the same issue on my iPhone 11. The calls worked fine on the speakerphone or headphones, but when taking or making a call handheld, it would drop the call within 2 minutes on every single call. Like gokulchowdhary I tried all troubleshooting, resetting the iPhone, restting network settings, changing network completley and the problem still persisted.

Then I found this solution iPhone 11 Call Drop FIXED - Apple Community where you change the SIRI settings and it seems to have fixed the issue. I made a call straight away to test it and was able to stay on the phone, handheld, for ten minutes without it dropping the call. It looks like SIRI was the grelim in the system all along.

Call Drop on iPhone 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.