iPad Pro won’t charge with USB-C to USB-C cable

I saw this posted elsewhere, but the post was old and there were no real fixes offered.

My iPad Pro 11 inch has been a trooper for as long as I’ve owned it. A while ago it stopped charging if I was using a USB-C to USB-C cable. It wil charge with a USB-A to USB-C cable, although sometimes I have to flip the USB-C connector over in order for it to begin charging.

it is not the cable or the adapter, as I am able to use the USB-C to USB-C cables on other devices just fine. There is someone in the OS that is detecting what kind of cable is being used and and says “Nope.”

Has anyone had any luck with Apple figuring out a way to have it accept a USB-C to USB-C for charging? This is really annoying, as I know it isn’t the cable, power adapter, nor the connector hardware on the iPad itself.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jun 1, 2023 5:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2024 11:10 PM

Agreed. Even after the 17.2 update I’m having issues with OEM cables and chargers. At times it’s a matter of unplugging and replugging the cable in (3-4 times) and other times it works when I flip the cable upside down. I’ve made sure there’s no lint or blockage in the connection, and have tried multiple connectors and chargers. Don’t understand what’s going on!

79 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2024 11:10 PM in response to redsalmon25

Agreed. Even after the 17.2 update I’m having issues with OEM cables and chargers. At times it’s a matter of unplugging and replugging the cable in (3-4 times) and other times it works when I flip the cable upside down. I’ve made sure there’s no lint or blockage in the connection, and have tried multiple connectors and chargers. Don’t understand what’s going on!

Sep 9, 2023 10:36 AM in response to redsalmon25

My wife and I have each had iPads ever since the first one came out, and switched to the iPad Pro when that model came out. My wife had an iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th Gen) that she used as her primary computer for the last 2 years. Recently it stopped charging. We tried various cables and wall plugs (all made for iPad). We ended up getting her a new iPad about three months ago (iPad Pro 12.9-inch gen 6). A couple of days ago, that one started not charging. If you leave the cable plugged in it will repeatedly make the connection audio sound, but not charge.

I read these posts and saw the post about trying a USB-A to USB-C. That method seems to work on the older iPad, but the new iPad still does not recognize anything being plugged into the USB-C port. This is very frustrating! Now we need to figure out who will honor the warranty (we purchased it through AT&T). We have had zero issues with our iPads until Apple switched to USB-C. Not looking forward to the iPhone switching to USB-C, but at least they have wireless charging when the USB-C port stops working.

Jul 23, 2023 1:24 PM in response to redsalmon25

mine too, I took my iPad Pro to a local repair shop as I thought it was my charging port, but they said to wait for another big update ios17….as it seems to have affected quite a lot of people….I know for certain it’s not my leads etc as hubby uses them too….also my earphone usb-c I bought no longer works and it’s a genuine Apple one, so I think there is definitely a hardware issue…..COME ON APPLE FIX IT!!!!!!!!!

Jun 14, 2023 7:19 AM in response to redsalmon25

I have a similar issue with my 2 year iPad that came out of warranty two weeks ago. It will not charge using any USB-C to USB-C cable, or with the power cable for my brand new MacBook Pro. It charges fine with any USB-A to USB-C cable or with the USB-C cable plugged into my laptop. It's unlikely that this is the cable (they work fine with any other device), the USB-C bricks (they also work fine with any other device) or the charging port on the iPad. I've done a number of steps for troubleshooting, including a hard reset and a complete wipe/restore of the device.

When I say these cables and bricks work fine with other devices, I have tested these on multiple producs; both Apple and otherwise (like a Kindle Paperwhite). I have flipped the cables back and forth so much I feel like a gymnast.

When I plug in a USB-C cable that is plugged into a USB-C brick, I get the green battery flash telling me how much battery power remains on the iPad, and then nothing. It feels like the iPad won't charge if the power source is too powerful. The battery on the iPad appears to be healthy with no unusual power drain.

I'm glad I have a way to charge the device, but this is annoying (and somewhat infuriating).

Oct 8, 2023 4:05 PM in response to redsalmon25

I have the exact same issues. I can get it to Sensi USB-C to USB but if I use a USB-C to USB-C, it doesn’t even sense the cable. This is obviously a more widespread issue and Apple refuses to talk about it. It’s not the cables I’ve tried about 30 of them. It’s not the chargers. I’ve tried about 10 of those. it started happening to me a few months ago. I thought it was just a dirty port but that’s been cleaned yet. The issue still remains. I have a feeling it was a software update that took this out. I think Apple needs to be more transparent about this and forthcoming that there is obviously an issue if several hundred people are having this problem. I’m assuming it’s probably way more than that that haven’t even recorded it. so Apple… What’s the resolution?

Feb 11, 2024 3:44 AM in response to redsalmon25

The same for me as well. I have a 5th gen M1 iPad Pro 12.9.

Over the last couple of months, I have had a 50/50 chance of properly charging my device.

(5 different “quality” usb-C cables and 2 different chargers)

Strangely, the usb-C coming from a dedicated output from my PC, seems to work fine.

I don’t feel I connect and disconnect my device any more than the average user, and I have regularly looked into the charging port with my eye loupes and good illumination. All inside appears to be clean and intact.

I force reset the pad on occasion, to alleviate the issue, to no avail.

I too, noticed it began within a few months of my warranty expiring.

Are there enough of us experiencing this issue to get Apple’s attention?

I wish all of you a speedy solution to this issue,

Harry

Jan 17, 2024 3:51 PM in response to redsalmon25

Same issue here with ipad pro no longer charging with usb-c. I have tried all the suggestions, usb-a, reboot, restart, different cables, chargers, etc... The ipad recognizes a charger is connected but will not charge. This is obviously a hardware issue. I was told at the genius bar that my warranty has expired and i could buy another one from them for a reduced price. With the amount of usb-c failures being reported Apple should address the issue.

Oct 28, 2023 8:59 AM in response to redsalmon25

My 3rd gen iPad Pro 12.9 with iOS 16.7.2 has a similar charging problem. Everything worked fine until 1 week ago. 70% of the time that you plug in the charging cable, nothing happens. 20% of the time, it starts charging, but then 15 seconds later it stops. 10% of the time, it will actually charge the iPad. I also tried every combination of swapping out charging bricks, USB-C cables, reversing the cables, etc. and no change to the behavior. All of these charging bricks and cables charge other devices no problem.

I found an Apple support article with simple device soft reset instructions if your iPad won’t charge. Fix issues with charging - Apple Support. I followed the instructions, but it didn’t fix the problem.

I took my iPad into the Apple Store and the guy at the Genius Bar was able to replicate the problem. He then ran diagnostics on it and found zero problems with the hardware, but had no explanation for why this was happening. My iPad was out of warranty so he said it would cost $650 to swap it with an identical refurbished model (I have 512GB storage and the cellular model). He said Apple does not disassemble the iPad Pro 12.9 to attempt any repairs. The only option at the Apple Store was to replace it.

Interestingly, he said because the iPad passed the hardware diagnostics (in spite of the battery charging problem), it would qualify for a trade in credit of $300 if I wanted to buy a new iPad.

Dec 20, 2023 8:25 AM in response to redsalmon25

2018 Gen3 iPad Pro 12.9" here. Was on iOS 15.x and this issue started about a month ago (Nov 2023).

There was some lint in the port, and cleaning it out seemed to fix it. However, last night it happened again. This was with the original cable and adapter that came with the iPad.

Left it plugged in overnight, it was at 38% charged, from 10%. Oddly, I had shut it off to preserve what battery I had left, and it was booted up when I checked it in the morning. Very odd.

Have not tried the USB-A cable method, this has only been with C-to-C cables. And yes I tried different cables and power adapters.

I am disappointed to read all these stories about basically new iPads having the same issues. Thought mine just had a bad port due to some mishap in the past, as I use the iPad Pro relentlessly.

Was planning to upgrade next year, but now I think I am going to do it while this things still functions properly.

Feb 11, 2024 1:40 PM in response to redsalmon25

Add me to the list with this issue. iPad pro 3rd gen 12.9". This past week the chargers that I have been using for about a year now, just stoped working with my iPad. Like others I went though a bunch of usb c chargers, both apple and others, but it was only until I plugged my chromecast charger in did it show it was receiving a charge.

I made an appointment at apple store, and they basically advised the same as others, that its out of warranty and the best they could do was to offer me the trade in value toward a new one. ~$300 or so.

I have been able to charge with my outlet extension, that has more 110 outlets but also a usb A and USB C chargers on it. I then tested with all my usb A power bricks I have, using a usb A to C cable and they all worked. sucks I have to cary around a different cable now.

Feb 3, 2024 3:51 AM in response to redsalmon25

I have the same issue on my iPad Pro (11-inch) (2nd generation) running iOS 17.2. It only charges from 5V USB-A and the charging is painfully slow but I am enduring it while waiting for a fix. Here is what works on mine.

1. USB A to USB-C cables. I have a couple of these short cables that work. Strangely though, one cable from the same batch doesn't work. My best guess is that USB-C connector, while the C connector itself appearing to be rotationally symmetric, is NOT symmetric and the charger and the devices work together to make it possible to insert the C connector in any polarity. So depending on how the cable assembly company connects the USB-C connector during manufacturing, it might work only when the USB-C connector is soldered the 'right side up'.
  2. It was possible to use this 'working USB-A to USB-C' cable along with a USB-C to USB-A converter dongle and charged the ipad from a USB-C apple charger. But it was not fast charging.
  3. Even with this USB-A cable, the ipad charges only when I insert the USB-C connector to iPad last. iPad will not charge if I insert USB-C first and connect USB-A to the charger next. So this makes me believe there is some software issue.

So I am not sure what should be done. Is the iPad charge port faulty? But to what degree? Electrical contacts are worn out? Or only one side of the USB-C connector was working and that's why it shows dependency on the polarity of the USB-C connector, and still refuses to accept USB-C connection which requires some initial preamble between the charger and the device to accept any charge via USB-C, while USB-A side doesn't require any of these, and happily charges the ipad at 5V USB 2.0 standards?

As long as the iPad charges, I guess I can still use it until the contacts wear out.

I am providing the details of my case, hoping it would help someone figure out how to charge properly.

Sadly, I am coming to a conclusion that there might have been some mechanical failure in the iPad USB-C port but some remaining contacts are making it possible to charge it at least under USB-A cable standard.

Wishing you the best and hoping for some more answers.

Best regards

RF Engineer

Dec 7, 2023 6:58 PM in response to redsalmon25

I have this same issue on an 11" iPad Pro (1st gen with USB-C)... started out of nowhere this week. Right now, I'm only able to charge the iPad using the USB-C input on the magic keyboard... which is SLOOOOW. I have not tried a USB-A to USB-C cable however the fact that this thread has gone on as long as it has with no official response is shocking to me. This iPad is 3 years old... there's no reason it should be failing.

Feb 13, 2024 3:12 PM in response to redsalmon25

After some time charging my iPad Pro 11 with the suggested usb-a charger and cable , I tried to charge it again with the default charger that came with. Until now it’s working as before and connecting to my m1 laptop also recognises it. The battery seems to have no issues as it charges as before the problem. Thanks all the users for the solution about the usb-a , as I was ready to trash my iPad. I wish Apple would do something or make a statement as their silence doesn’t honour them. iOS 15.4 , iPad Pro 11

Dec 8, 2023 3:34 PM in response to LotusPilot

This is correct, but not the case here, which is what makes it weird. Brand new iPhone 15, with the cable it came in and using multiple charger bricks. Sometimes it works by just rotating the cable orientation. That’s makes zero sense why that would be the case. Sometimes it doesn’t charge at all no matter the orientation. Unless I use USB-A to USB-C, which pretty much works all the time.

Jun 1, 2023 6:35 AM in response to redsalmon25

First, USB-C cables are fully reversible - and as such, it should make no difference at all to functioning if the connecting plug is reversed. If flipping the plug orientation makes a difference, either the cable or its connector are defective, or the mating device connector has been damaged.

Per your description, the USB-C connector on your iPad may have been damaged, or has an associated fault.

These support pages should help with troubleshooting general battery and charging issues:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item. Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow. Recent models of iPad are supplied with a 20W USB-C Power Adapter.

Be aware that many computer USB ports cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

If you continue to experience difficulties when using an appropriate Power Adapter of 12W or greater, you might be best advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, if you have access to another Apple device, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

iPad Pro won’t charge with USB-C to USB-C cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.