Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Mini not recognized as trusted device

Whenever I sign in my mini, I get the message on my iPhone that someone new is signing in to my device (the mini) do I trust them. This has been going on for 2 years. How to fix the problem.....

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

Posted on Jun 1, 2023 12:21 PM

5 replies

Jun 1, 2023 9:49 PM in response to Agniss

Are you referring to the authentication for these forums? Where you get asked if you trust the device that's logging in, and then prompted for a two-factor authentication code (if you've ever turned two-factor authentication on)?

I believe you can click a button for the site to trust the browser - but if you are blocking cookies for the site (or have your browser set up to delete all cookies automatically when you quit it), you might be getting rid of something that the site uses to help it remember that your browser is trusted.

Jun 2, 2023 10:35 AM in response to Servant of Cats

Thanks for trying, but no, it has nothing to do with authentication for these fora. It doesn't seem to be a site that isn't trusting the browser. It's somehow connected with my Apple ID and my mini. When I sign in on the mini, my iPhone complains that my Apple ID has been used to sign in on an unknown device. I've been using the mini for 2 years, so I don't know why it is still unknown.

Jun 3, 2023 5:08 AM in response to Agniss

Try creating a new user with administrator privileges on the the Mac Mini. This is done in Users&Groups on the Mac. Copy any data files you may need to an external drive. Note: You do not need to do anything with applications as they will be available to the new user.

Then reboot the Mini and log into the new user. Once in the new user, log into your AppleID. This will give you the two factor authorization because it is obviously a new user. Copy the previously saved files into the new users account. Continue using this new user on the Mac and see if the issue continues.

It is possible the there is something corrupted in the current user on the MacMini that is triggering the two factor/trust issue.

I have seen similar issues related to user accounts on a Mac in the past.

Mini not recognized as trusted device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.