Attempts to set up Family Sharing freezes System Preferences app on Mac mini M1, Ventura.

As soon as I attempt to add a family member to Family Sharing, what looks like a blank dialog is displayed and the whole System Preferences app becomes completely unresponsive. I have to resort to using Force Quit to get rid of the app.

I saw another user has had the same problem, and it was suggested a startup in Safe Mode might help, so I tried that approach but had the same non-responsive result.

Everything else is working as it should. There are no account issues.

Any help is appreciated.

Posted on Jun 3, 2023 3:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2023 12:34 PM

I eventually started a chat with support and they helped me fix the issue. I accessed Family Sharing via the web app. Oddly, there it showed I had a Family Sharing group already set up (even though my MacOS Sonoma settings showed I didn't). Per the support rep's advice I disconnected the Purchase Sharing, then I was able to set up a Family through the MacOS Sonomo UI (and ultimately create a child account, which was my initial goal).

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2023 12:34 PM in response to theblang

I eventually started a chat with support and they helped me fix the issue. I accessed Family Sharing via the web app. Oddly, there it showed I had a Family Sharing group already set up (even though my MacOS Sonoma settings showed I didn't). Per the support rep's advice I disconnected the Purchase Sharing, then I was able to set up a Family through the MacOS Sonomo UI (and ultimately create a child account, which was my initial goal).

Jun 3, 2023 3:59 AM in response to ludius

As I see in the screenshot, a software update is available. If you haven't, install it. If the issue persists, reinstall MacOS. Here's a link to the support article:

MacOS Reinstallation Support Article

The reinstallation will repair corrupted stuff and may fix the issue. The process won't delete your data so your stuff will be fine.

If the issue persists (again): Contact Apple Support

Attempts to set up Family Sharing freezes System Preferences app on Mac mini M1, Ventura.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.