Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Mirror iPhone to iPad?

I can screen share to my iPad when on FaceTime but not otherwise. Is this true? Do I really have to use a third party app to mirror my iPhone to my iPad?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jun 3, 2023 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 1:04 PM

except when you want to use the iPhone camera and the big display of the iPad to show you what the lens sees.. you can now connect 3p DSLR cameras but not an iPhone?

“everything’s the same so it’s essentially pointless?”

Obviously not.

the fact that your answer is from 2023 is even worse. Let the tech be the tech and not have glass walls for literally no reason, heaven forbid someone frames themselves nicely in a shot.

would much rather mirror straight to the iPad than download a shady app. Just tried to look for “camera plus” and about 24 various apps showed up.

you tell me, which is a better experience?

a built in experience that wouldn’t take much to do?

or a 3rd party mess of privacy, function, and stability.

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2023 1:04 PM in response to LotusPilot

except when you want to use the iPhone camera and the big display of the iPad to show you what the lens sees.. you can now connect 3p DSLR cameras but not an iPhone?

“everything’s the same so it’s essentially pointless?”

Obviously not.

the fact that your answer is from 2023 is even worse. Let the tech be the tech and not have glass walls for literally no reason, heaven forbid someone frames themselves nicely in a shot.

would much rather mirror straight to the iPad than download a shady app. Just tried to look for “camera plus” and about 24 various apps showed up.

you tell me, which is a better experience?

a built in experience that wouldn’t take much to do?

or a 3rd party mess of privacy, function, and stability.

Jul 4, 2023 6:44 PM in response to LotusPilot

LotusPilot wrote:
... mirroring is effectively pointless

I disagree. There are uses for iPhone-> iPad mirroring that have nothing do to with apps that happen to be common to both platforms. For example:

I have a Honda Civic that is old enough that it does not have any tech (no CarPlay, no bluetooth, etc.) I would like to mirror my iPhone map apps (Google Maps & Apple Maps) to an iPad mounted on my dashboard to get a larger map display.

I'm not going to buy a new car just to get the latest tech gizmos and I'm also not interested in spending an extra $150 for a cellular iPad model plus bear the cost of an additional cell plan for it.

Nov 7, 2023 7:34 AM in response to Christina London

So I gotta trust a 3rd party app from Wangxu (china) that wants my WiFi password in order to work when this could be solved first party in a second?

oh and the QR code scan option doesn’t even work?

oh and it forced the iPad in portrait mode for literally no reason?

and then refuses to work w the QR code?

no thanks..

its 2023 we can do better. This is sad

Jun 29, 2023 12:50 PM in response to mocho99

So I found that LotusPilot had helped another person with a similar request as mine. So all I want to do is view my iPhone camera on my iPad. LotusPilot had suggested an app called Camera Plus, lo and behold I had bought this app long ago and have not used it since buying my iPhone 13 Pro. And to add to my luck it does indeed do exactly what I wanted which is to mirror my iphone camera to the iPad :)

The image on the iPad is not as clear as the phone, but it works! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction LotusPilot !

Nov 8, 2023 6:37 AM in response to Mattheyea

So after some experimenting I found that Filmic Pro works really good does exactly what you want, gives you lots of controls , no data collection, only catch is that it’s a subscription service, i think it’s 50$ for a year, which if you are actually going to use this feature seems fine to me, specially since we’ve seen how crappy all the alternatives are.

Just wanted to circle back to this since I did so much complaining before.

Hope this helps!

Apr 1, 2024 7:43 AM in response to Tonedog_

Tonedog_ wrote:

Right… but there’s no reason they couldn’t be. It just another dumb limitation Apple has put in place. Then, in 2035, they’ll remove that limitation, give it a brand name and brag about it as being special.

What bonus do you get for being Community+? Is it a strict rule that you have to defend Apple’s arbitrary limitation choices?

To be clear, as an end-user contributor (just like you), I am not defending anything.

While I and others will limit comments to those that meet ASC's published Terms of Use (as linked in the page-footer below), I have no hesitation at all in constructively acknowledging functional deficiencies or other issues where they exist. That said, insofar as I can, I will attempt to explain current limitations of iOS/iPadOS - and where possible try to provide an appropriate workaround where available.

If you would like to see changes to existing functionality, or would like to see new capabilities introduced in a future version of iPadOS, Apple invites submission of comments and feature requests via its Product Feedback portal. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

As for Community+ status, the badge that you see is something that is awarded to a very small number of regular ASC contributors - for which the precise qualifying criteria is known only to Apple. The badge only appears adjacent to a contributors profile name during calendar year of the award. To my knowledge, for 2024, there are nine contributors throughout the entirety of the english-speaking ASC Community.

Apr 1, 2024 7:58 AM in response to Tonedog_

To reiterate, if you would like to see changes to existing functionality, or would like to see new capabilities introduced in a future version of iPadOS, Apple invites submission of comments and feature requests via its Product Feedback portal. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

While there is no guarantee that Apple will make changes in response to requests received, you along with anyone else have both a voice and a channel through which to offer constructive feedback and/or critique 🙂

Jun 28, 2023 9:58 PM in response to LotusPilot

I've been looking for a definitive answer to the question, so thank you.

And yes there seems to be a billion apps that say they can do that, but buying apps can be a crap shoot. Is there a good app that you would recommend?

Also there is a very good reason to mirror the iphone to the ipad and that is the camera on the iphone. Using the camera on the iphone to view parts of your body, etc. live on the iPad.

Thank you for your post.

Mar 3, 2024 2:27 AM in response to Ketle74

Ketle74 wrote:

Another use case is that my phone has 128 gb of memory. My iPad has 64. My phone is also faster than my iPad. I would like to download a game on my phone and then cast the phone screen to the iPad as it has a larger screen. I can cast to Apple TV, but not to iPad. This is a mystery to me why it’s not possible. It would ad a lot of value to iPads if you could simply use it as a monitor.

iPad and iPhone are not AirPlay receivers. As such, while you can AirPlay to an AppleTV or similar, AirPlay between iPad and iPhone is fundamentally not supported.

Jul 5, 2023 10:35 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

Johnathan Burger wrote:

Why not just use one of the various map apps available for the iPad directly on the ipad?

Turn on Hotspot on the iPhone and use it's cellular data for the ipad.

My question is would this work for a WiFi-only iPad that has no GPS chip? The iPad can certainly use the iPhone's Hotspot for a data connection but how would the location services work?

Jul 5, 2023 10:44 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

While the iPhone has benefit of GNSS/GPS location services - this information is not shared with tethered devices.

As such, a tethered WiFi Only iPad will only be able to derive [fixed] location of the Cellular Provider’s public internet gateway IP Address - and lookup of detected adjacent WiFi networks for which the geographic location is known to Apple’s crowd-sourced database.

Mirror iPhone to iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.