Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

My Apple Watch ultra is stuck in a boot loop and won’t turn on or hold a charge even after being on the charger for a while

What do I do if my Apple Watch ultra is stuck in a boot loop? Apple logo appears for about 5 seconds, then it goes black and this process repeats.

Apple Watch Ultra

Posted on Jun 3, 2023 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2023 2:34 PM

My first guess is that the battery does not have enough charge to let the watch start successfully, and it is not getting enough charging to defeat the problem. The first attempt should be a Forced Reset to completely clear the working memory rather like a power-off reboot on a computer. Then check your charging accessories because it would be embarrassing to discover the problem was a disconnected charger or bad wall socket.

Restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If your Apple Watch won't charge or it won't turn on - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, your Apple Watch Ultra must still be less than 12 months old as I write this, so within warranty etc. The best advice with is to contact Apple Support for 1/1 help and diagnosis from Apple's professionals.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2023 2:34 PM in response to chasefromhays

My first guess is that the battery does not have enough charge to let the watch start successfully, and it is not getting enough charging to defeat the problem. The first attempt should be a Forced Reset to completely clear the working memory rather like a power-off reboot on a computer. Then check your charging accessories because it would be embarrassing to discover the problem was a disconnected charger or bad wall socket.

Restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If your Apple Watch won't charge or it won't turn on - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, your Apple Watch Ultra must still be less than 12 months old as I write this, so within warranty etc. The best advice with is to contact Apple Support for 1/1 help and diagnosis from Apple's professionals.

Jun 26, 2023 3:32 PM in response to chasefromhays

Hot to touch is generally a bad sign and indicates a big drain on the battery - lots of maxed out processing. However, this might be a problem only while applying the software update. I have noticed my Apple Watch got much warmer than I expected when I installed a new WatchOS recently, but it is perfectly normal after the install completed.

If it is still hot, give it a forced reset (reboot), then maybe see if you can shut it down and let it cool before you put it on charge for an hour or two. If that doesn't solve the problem then you should certainly be talking to Apple Support as my earlier post.

My Apple Watch ultra is stuck in a boot loop and won’t turn on or hold a charge even after being on the charger for a while

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.