can I use a non apple usb to restore my phone?

I have tried to restore my iphone 8 through itunes however the icon for devices isnt showing up. I want to assume that it is because of the usb i am using but when I tried my original apple charger, nothing showed up. What can I do?

iPhone 8

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 12:07 PM

I use non-Apple cables all the time. It appears your computer isn't recognizing your iPhone.

See this link for possible solutions --> If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

2 replies

Jun 4, 2023 12:07 PM in response to chuka113

You can use any USB to Lightning cable, but you need the latest version of iTunes on a PC. If you have a Mac you don’t use iTunes anymore; you use Finder.

When you connect an iP

hone to a PC the iPhone should appear near the top of the iTunes window:

But note that it would appear if the iPhone is disabled, until it is in Restore mode. Follow these instructions:

If your device has iOS 15.2 or later installed, you can reset it without a computer; check out this link→How to reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when you forgot your passcode - Apple Support. Otherwise you will need a computer:

See this Apple support link→If you forgot the passcode on your iPhone, or your iPhone is disabled - Apple Support

Or watch this companion video ⬇️

After restoring the phone using one of the methods above you can restore your most recent backup.

can I use a non apple usb to restore my phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.