I am unable to upgrade my Mac OS from Mohave to Ventura because my HD "s not formatted for APFS". How do I fix this so I can upgrade?

I am unable to upgrade my Mac OS from Mohave to Ventura because my HD "s not formatted for APFS". How do I fix this so I can upgrade?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 11:42 AM

Before doing anything else, make sure to have a good backup in case something goes wrong.

You an try converting the file system to APFS by booting into Recovery Mode (Command + R). Launch Disk Utility and click on "Macintosh HD" on the left pane of Disk Utility (or click on the current name if you customized it). Right-click or Control-click on "Macintosh HD" and select "Convert to APFS" on the resulting pop-up menu. Theoretically this should not destroy your current macOS installation or data, but this is a major undertaking so make sure to have a good backup first just to be safe.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2023 11:42 AM in response to Allan Harris

Before doing anything else, make sure to have a good backup in case something goes wrong.

You an try converting the file system to APFS by booting into Recovery Mode (Command + R). Launch Disk Utility and click on "Macintosh HD" on the left pane of Disk Utility (or click on the current name if you customized it). Right-click or Control-click on "Macintosh HD" and select "Convert to APFS" on the resulting pop-up menu. Theoretically this should not destroy your current macOS installation or data, but this is a major undertaking so make sure to have a good backup first just to be safe.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.