backup error

I get an error message when I want to backup using the time machine

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 5:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 4:06 AM

Error messages can provide valuable information about the problem. To assist you better, could you please provide me with the exact error message you're receiving? With that information, I'll be able to provide you with more specific troubleshooting steps or solutions. Further, the error like "Time machine backup failed" occurs when time machine unable to backup your data.

Here are few DIY fixes that you can try to resolve the time machine backup failure issue:

1. Check external hard drive’s file system.

2. Check free disk space on external hard drive.

3. Check for junk files or other unwanted data as it might be causing problem.

4. Check if the Mac software is updated.

5. Try restarting your Mac.

6. Check if the mac and the backup drive connected to the same network.

By checking the above issues, you might resolve the time machine backup failure.

Hope it helps!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2023 4:06 AM in response to kboy97

Error messages can provide valuable information about the problem. To assist you better, could you please provide me with the exact error message you're receiving? With that information, I'll be able to provide you with more specific troubleshooting steps or solutions. Further, the error like "Time machine backup failed" occurs when time machine unable to backup your data.

Here are few DIY fixes that you can try to resolve the time machine backup failure issue:

1. Check external hard drive’s file system.

2. Check free disk space on external hard drive.

3. Check for junk files or other unwanted data as it might be causing problem.

4. Check if the Mac software is updated.

5. Try restarting your Mac.

6. Check if the mac and the backup drive connected to the same network.

By checking the above issues, you might resolve the time machine backup failure.

Hope it helps!

Jun 5, 2023 4:36 AM in response to kboy97

This is a guess as there is very little usable information provided in this question

It could be Lack of Empty Space on the Internal Drive

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac.  

Often caused if the Time Machine Drive has not been attached  to the computer and TM Backup is set to run on a Schedule. 

TM Backup will make Snap Shot on the Internal Drive awaiting the TM Backup Drive to be attached. 

Only then will the Snaps Shots be transferred to the External Drive and deleted the Internal Drive.

backup error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.