keep image with next line

I have a small jpg that is centered above chapter titles and elsewhere within my book text. I want the graphic to stick to the next line. It does in Pages, but not when I export to ePub. The ePub (both in Kindle and Books) shows the graphic on its own page. Yes, I have set Keep lines on same page and Keep lines with next paragraph. The images are set to Move with text and Wrap inline with text. What am I doing wrong?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 5:52 PM

So strange. I posted my solution earlier today. Wonder where it went. Yes, firstly, thank you for following up! Nice of you. I did find a solution. I defined both lines (The small image, and the chapter title) as "subtitle," which forces them to start a new page (an important for the TOC). However, instead of putting a return after the image, I used a shift-return, which kept them together as one paragraph. That worked!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2023 5:52 PM in response to VikingOSX

So strange. I posted my solution earlier today. Wonder where it went. Yes, firstly, thank you for following up! Nice of you. I did find a solution. I defined both lines (The small image, and the chapter title) as "subtitle," which forces them to start a new page (an important for the TOC). However, instead of putting a return after the image, I used a shift-return, which kept them together as one paragraph. That worked!

Jun 6, 2023 5:20 AM in response to Bambi Vincent

You didn't mention whether you tried both of the EPUB output options: Reflowable and Fixed layout?

Because Pages is auto-generating the HTML and CSS for the EPUB, that automation may make inexact assumptions and not comply with your visual expectations. You may find that you need to "fine tune" the EPUB with a more exacting layout instructions that help you in positioning that small JPG exactly where you want it in the final product. In order to do that, you need to be familiar with HTML/CSS and have an EPUB editor. Always make a copy of the original EPUB and edit the copy.

One EPUB editor that comes to mind is the free SIGIL.

When you download SIGIL and double-click the installer, it will allow you to drag SIGIL into your Applications folder. Right-click on it and choose Open. A dialog will appear:

Click OK and then visit System Preferences/Settings and select the Security & Privacy panel. If you are on Ventura 13.4, you will see the following panel, where you click Open Anyway to activate SIGIL for subsequent usage. That will result in another security dialog requesting your admin password. On earlier operating systems, this will be on the Security & Privacy > General panel.

keep image with next line

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.