Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple ID password request for wrong Apple ID

My new iPhone 14 wants me to enter my Apple ID password. But is asking for my wife's password and not the current Apple ID (my id) for the phone.

How do I force Apple ID to not ask for my wife's password? I think all this was caused some years ago when we all used the same Itunes account but not sure.

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 8:02 AM

Did your wife end up with the original account? if yes, it is possible the phone is trying to download apps that were bought with that ID. You will need to repurchase them with you current ID and/or arrange to share them from her account with Family Sharing. To learn how to set up Family Sharing, read this support article --> https://support.apple.com/HT201088

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2023 8:02 AM in response to Tyeehusky

Did your wife end up with the original account? if yes, it is possible the phone is trying to download apps that were bought with that ID. You will need to repurchase them with you current ID and/or arrange to share them from her account with Family Sharing. To learn how to set up Family Sharing, read this support article --> https://support.apple.com/HT201088

Jun 7, 2023 8:35 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks for the reply. Yes my wife has the original account. When I got the phone many of my apps wanted her password so deleted the app and reloaded from App Store with my Apple Id. How do I l know what Apps are still from her Apple account?

My phone shows the Apple id as my account but looks like there is some confusion from our sharing many years ago. By the way, not interested in setting up Family Sharing. Would rather not have any issues in the future.

Thanks again.

Jun 7, 2023 8:56 AM in response to Tyeehusky

To find out which ones are from her account you will need to try to manually update the apps one by one and see which ones ask for her password.

For apps on a mobile device:

1. Open the App Store app

2. Select Updates, or select your icon in the upper right corner

3. Click update all or scroll down past the first screen to select individual apps.

Jun 7, 2023 9:06 AM in response to Tyeehusky

Hi Tyee- I hope the advice given to you solved your situation. If you still have any questions or doubts, I found the following site to be very helpful. It has pics of each screen as well (sometimes words just look like letters & pictures can say a thousand words, y’know? Lol)

Best of luck- let us know if all worked out. We’ve all had those frustrating, “want to throw ur phone at the wall”moments! Here’s the website:

https://beebom.com/how-to-change-passwords-on-iphone/

You’ll find your answers a little less than halfway down.

Good luck !

Kt

Jun 7, 2023 5:08 PM in response to Tyeehusky

Odd. When I go into the App Sotre app, tap on my icon in the top right corner, scroll down until I start seeing my apps, I get a complete list. There's even some that I haven't updated in about 3 years. In other words, I see everything. Have you hidden any purchases? Note that they bunch into apps needing updating, with recently updated ones in a list below.

I can't do 100% what you are trying to do since all my apps come from one ID, plus I don't bother trying to update any for which it is not showing an update is available. This may be a long-term process.

Apple ID password request for wrong Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.