I can't install OS X on my MacBook

I have Macbook air 2015. Trying to install os x. On the recovery mode it is saying

"OS X can't be reinstalled because you aren't connected to the Internet.

If you connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi, use the menu

with the Wi-Fi icon to select your network. Otherwise,

plug in an Ethernet cable."

The wifi icon is disabled.

I restart it several times .. not working

Tried to recover from USB drive it could not read it.

How should I proceed?

Thanks

[Re-titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, 10.15

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 6:34 PM

For a 2015 model, an Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter is the best and fastest option (the USB Ethernet adapter is much too slow) if WiFi is not working.

Here is an Apple article with instructions for creating a bootable macOS USB installer:

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

You will need access to another compatible Qualifying Mac. For a 10.13 installer it generally requires a Mac from Late-2009 to 2018. For a macOS 12.x installer generally needs a Mac from 2015 to 2021. You can confirm compatibility of a Qualifying Mac using this article:

https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

If you successfully create a USB installer, but it won't boot, then try using another USB stick (especially a different brand). The quality of USB sticks is extremely poor, plus Macs can be very picky about the drives used for booting.

If your WiFi on this laptop is not functioning, then maybe there is a hardware issue with the laptop which may be interfering with your ability to boot a macOS installer. In my experience supporting thousands of our organizations laptops, accidental liquid damage is the most likely since I find it rare for WiFi to just fail on its own.

Maybe try running the Apple Diagnostics (requires connecting to the Internet).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2023 6:34 PM in response to yonathan194

For a 2015 model, an Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter is the best and fastest option (the USB Ethernet adapter is much too slow) if WiFi is not working.

Here is an Apple article with instructions for creating a bootable macOS USB installer:

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

You will need access to another compatible Qualifying Mac. For a 10.13 installer it generally requires a Mac from Late-2009 to 2018. For a macOS 12.x installer generally needs a Mac from 2015 to 2021. You can confirm compatibility of a Qualifying Mac using this article:

https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

If you successfully create a USB installer, but it won't boot, then try using another USB stick (especially a different brand). The quality of USB sticks is extremely poor, plus Macs can be very picky about the drives used for booting.

If your WiFi on this laptop is not functioning, then maybe there is a hardware issue with the laptop which may be interfering with your ability to boot a macOS installer. In my experience supporting thousands of our organizations laptops, accidental liquid damage is the most likely since I find it rare for WiFi to just fail on its own.

Maybe try running the Apple Diagnostics (requires connecting to the Internet).

I can't install OS X on my MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.