Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed to install OS X El Capitan from OS Lion on my Macbook and now I can't return to OS Lion

I have a MacBook Air Mid 2011, I tried installing an El Capitan update. During installation, it says, about 19 minutes remaining, then, "OS X COULD NOT BE INSTALLED IN YOUR COMPUTER. File Syste verify or repair failed. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again. ", and every time I restart it, it just goes back to OS X installer.

One thing about my MacBook is, the WiFi doesn't work, so I cannot go to internet recovery. I also tried getting a TPLink Nano USB WiFi adapter, thinking it may detect wifi, but it doesn't (I think I need to install the drivers first, but to do that, I need a working OS)

PLEASE HELP ME

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 27, 2021 5:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2021 6:51 PM

Seems like you also perform a clean install since there is apparently an unrepairable file system errors which means you need to use Disk Utility to erase the drive/volume before installing macOS.

You will also need an Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter along with an Ethernet cable to connect the MBAir directly to the router.

If you have access to another Mac that is compatible with macOS 10.11, then you can create a bootable macOS 10.11 USB installer using these Apple instructions:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2021 6:51 PM in response to theejlo

Seems like you also perform a clean install since there is apparently an unrepairable file system errors which means you need to use Disk Utility to erase the drive/volume before installing macOS.

You will also need an Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter along with an Ethernet cable to connect the MBAir directly to the router.

If you have access to another Mac that is compatible with macOS 10.11, then you can create a bootable macOS 10.11 USB installer using these Apple instructions:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Failed to install OS X El Capitan from OS Lion on my Macbook and now I can't return to OS Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.