update Software for MacBook Air 2013

I need to update my MacBook Air 2013 (4GB memory) currently running on macOS High Sierra 10.13 and I only have 7.7 GB of available storage.

How do I update my software? Apparently I am not able to get the newest Ventura. and how do I make room in my storage?

I have deleted movies, photos, music, any large unnecessary files...

can I remove old back ups? old software?

Can I replace old Time Machine with a current back up?

Thanks!!!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 4:54 PM

lwdiscala Said:

"update Software for MacBook Air 2013: I need to update my MacBook Air 2013 (4GB memory) currently running on macOS High Sierra 10.13 and I only have 7.7 GB of available storage."

-------

Troubleshooting Mac Storage:

Internal storage cannot be upgraded for your model. It is what it is. So, the maximum internal storage capacity never increases, even if you upgraded your iCloud plan. Learn More here: What's the Difference Between Device Storage and iCloud Storage? Apple Support

So, what to do:

Clear Space:

Having little empty space can heat things up. So, here is what to perform...

A. Clear Temporary Internet Files:

Clear your Temporary Internet Files(Cookies & History) of Safari:

Also...

B. Clean TV and Music Libraries:

Remove all unneeded files from your TV and Music Libraries. Full-Movies take up 2-4GB typically, and a bunch of those would take up a load of storage, ideally. So, if you have any movies that are not needed, then delete them.

C. Uninstalling Software:

Export all pertaining items to an extra storage location (i.e. a flash drive). Then, uninstall the app. Note for some apps, you must use an uninstaller. If you just drag-and-drop this to the trash, files will be laying about, any probably never removable. So, using an uninstaller to uninstall it. MS Office and Security Software are examples of software that require an uninstaller. Get the uninstaller from the Developer's site, and no where else, as a way to avoid scams.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2023 4:54 PM in response to lwdiscala

lwdiscala Said:

"update Software for MacBook Air 2013: I need to update my MacBook Air 2013 (4GB memory) currently running on macOS High Sierra 10.13 and I only have 7.7 GB of available storage."

-------

Troubleshooting Mac Storage:

Internal storage cannot be upgraded for your model. It is what it is. So, the maximum internal storage capacity never increases, even if you upgraded your iCloud plan. Learn More here: What's the Difference Between Device Storage and iCloud Storage? Apple Support

So, what to do:

Clear Space:

Having little empty space can heat things up. So, here is what to perform...

A. Clear Temporary Internet Files:

Clear your Temporary Internet Files(Cookies & History) of Safari:

Also...

B. Clean TV and Music Libraries:

Remove all unneeded files from your TV and Music Libraries. Full-Movies take up 2-4GB typically, and a bunch of those would take up a load of storage, ideally. So, if you have any movies that are not needed, then delete them.

C. Uninstalling Software:

Export all pertaining items to an extra storage location (i.e. a flash drive). Then, uninstall the app. Note for some apps, you must use an uninstaller. If you just drag-and-drop this to the trash, files will be laying about, any probably never removable. So, using an uninstaller to uninstall it. MS Office and Security Software are examples of software that require an uninstaller. Get the uninstaller from the Developer's site, and no where else, as a way to avoid scams.

update Software for MacBook Air 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.