Updating to 16.5 and device being hot

I was working on my gmail for a period of time and my device is bit hot. Then I updated my device to 16.5 straight away when my device haven’t cooled down yet. I’m curious if my iPad will have cumulative problems (hardware problems) and I’m not sure if that’s okay

iPad Air (3rd generation)

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 11:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2023 4:02 AM

A healthy iPad should automatically protect itself from becoming too hot. Unless the iPad is too hot to comfortably hold - or is now not performing as expected - you should have no immediate concerns.

3 replies

Jun 8, 2023 3:51 AM in response to Felix_66

It is not unusual for an iPad to become warm when being used - more so when using some types of iPad case. High screen brightness and/or CPU intensive Apps will also create more heat. Performing a system software update will also cause the device temperature to rise - as the update process makes significant demand on the device hardware while the update is applied.

The key point is that whilst your iPad may become very warm in normal use, the iPad should not become uncomfortably hot to handle. If your iPad is becoming too hot, or if you have any concerns, you should take your iPad along to the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store - where the technicians can examine and test your iPad for faults.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Jun 8, 2023 3:57 AM in response to LotusPilot

Hi thank you for your response,

I might’ve not described the problem well before since I’m bit weary and I’ll describe it in more details:

I’m stating a question In my post, saying I updated my iPad to 16.5 version straight after using Gmail and playing games, since using gmail and playing games can cause intense heat in the CPU, and I’ve updated my iPad to 16.5 straight away as I didn’t let the device cool-down for a bit. I’m just wondering will that cause any hardware problems.

Updating to 16.5 and device being hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.