“iCloud and iMessage accounts do not match" error

I have an iPhone and iPad with latest versions of iOS. I’ve noticed that iMessages between devices are not syncing and when I tried signing out of iMessage on both devices I get “iCloud and iMessage accounts do not match" error. I am for a fact signed in on both devices with the same user name and all settings the exact same between devices. Any ideas? I have turned iMessage off and on both devices, signed out and in and both devices and restarted both.

Posted on Jun 9, 2023 12:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2023 1:24 AM

Have you enabled iCloud Messages - as this service is intended to keep your Messages synchronised between devices:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > Show All > Messages > Sync This iPad | iPhone - set to ON

If the setting is already enabled on both devices, should difficulties persist, change this setting to OFF on both iPad and iPhone - then force restart both devices:

Force restart iPad - Apple Support

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

After restart, reset iCloud Messages to ON.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2023 1:24 AM in response to Tenofhearts12

Have you enabled iCloud Messages - as this service is intended to keep your Messages synchronised between devices:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > Show All > Messages > Sync This iPad | iPhone - set to ON

If the setting is already enabled on both devices, should difficulties persist, change this setting to OFF on both iPad and iPhone - then force restart both devices:

Force restart iPad - Apple Support

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

After restart, reset iCloud Messages to ON.

Sep 9, 2023 9:25 AM in response to Tenofhearts12

None of the suggestions I read on any of these community posts or online helped when I had this problem. I kept getting error messages that the accounts for iMessage and iCloud may be different, even though the AppleID was the same on all my devices and verified that several times. I kept receiving error messages when I tried to turn on iMessage on my iPad, which would not go away unless I did a hard reboot to the iPad. The accounts, i.e., the email addresses, were identical on all the devices. I even tried changing the password for my Apple ID and resetting my iPad to factory settings. Nothing worked. And I followed all the instructions on myriad posts I found online, none of which worked, either. I believe changing the password caused a problem because the iPhone was signed in using the old password and the iPad was signed in using the new one. Or at least I think that was the problem. So I signed out of my Apple account on all devices (go to settings/name/scroll to the bottom to sign out), then signed back in on all the devices serially, merging my data and all the apps to iCloud, and ensured that the AppleID and passwords matched when signing back in. This solved the problem and I can now text/receive messages on all my devices, including my iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch.

“iCloud and iMessage accounts do not match" error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.