I'm getting mail addressed to ...@suddenlinkmail.com I'd never heard of them before & its not me!

I have tried and tried to block this nasty spam that started arriving that isn't my address at all. Using the filter 'Rules' in settings on mail, I try to stop mail not addressed to me. But still it keeps coming. As the first few characters in the addresses changes each time I cannot put in the whole email address into the rules. I'm now getting truck loads of horrible spam but every rule I try has no effect! Before this, I'd never heard of this email client so don't know how it's happened. I don't find any viruses on my iMac computer and have Malwarebytes running too. Is anyone able to help me stop it? Thank you.

iMac 24″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Jun 9, 2023 5:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2023 5:39 AM

Don't use the entire email address when you create your Rules.

Instead, use the part that may be common to those messages... "@suddenlinkmail.com"

Of course, this risks filtering any legit email from that domain, so it's a compromise.

There is no other way to filter this junk. It's become a fact of life, unfortunately.

Some users swear by services such as Spam Sieve, though I've never used it.

90 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2023 5:39 AM in response to Jane Elizabeth Smith

Don't use the entire email address when you create your Rules.

Instead, use the part that may be common to those messages... "@suddenlinkmail.com"

Of course, this risks filtering any legit email from that domain, so it's a compromise.

There is no other way to filter this junk. It's become a fact of life, unfortunately.

Some users swear by services such as Spam Sieve, though I've never used it.

Jun 18, 2023 9:28 AM in response to Bob Ayers

I supposed it's possible that a software revision on local clients (Mail running on macOS) might block these, but I am doubtful. Seems to me the problem is that the Apple Servers are passing through messages that aren't addressed to actual iCloud addresses.

I'm working with an Apple Senior Advisor right now. Expect to hear something by tomorrow (June 18). I will relate anything I find out. However, the SA did say something like, "the more people report this problem to Apple Support, the more likely it will get attention."

In the meantime, if you want to keep those "suddenlinkmail.com" spam emails out of your inbox, I suggest the iCloud.com Mail rule below. (You have to do this with the iCloud web interface, not in the Mail app.) You will end up still getting them, but they will go to Trash.

But, you can schedule regular emptying of Trash. See: https://www.lifewire.com/empty-trash-quickly-os-x-mail-1172841#:~:text=Configure%20Mail%20to%20Empty%20the%20Trash%20on%20a%20Schedule&text=Then%2C%20on%20the%20menu%20bar,menu%20to%20select%20your%20preference.

Jun 21, 2023 6:43 AM in response to unaysah18

I don't expect Apple can fix this, as it's a "classic" spam issue. They could create a global rule on the Mail Server, but that would just send these messages all to Junk, and then we would still have to deal with them ourselves. As far as I know, Apple cannot just "Delete" messages.

But, I have one more suggestion that seems to be working well for me.

Looking at the full headers, I noticed that most of the messages addressed to some random @suddenlink.com address are being sent from a random @thermomix.com.sg address. I created a Rule (using the iCloud Mail web interface in Safari) to move these messages to a separate folder that I can ignore, and empty every once in a while. This keeps my Trash folder relatively clean, and keeps these out of my Junk folder. I do use Spam Sieve for the more garden variety spam.

Here's the Rule:

Make sure to create your special folder before creating the Rule. And if you prefer, you can move to Trash instead of a folder. And as new garbage like this appears, we will just have to add a new Rule. That's life, nowadays.

Let us know if it works for you.

Jun 24, 2023 11:48 AM in response to Bob Ayers

Hi Bob Ayers,

RE: "Your screen shot shows a Delete command. I didn't see this in the preferences when I created the new rule in iCloud mail."

The red, "Delete," is for deleting the Rule, not for deleting messages. Apple does not allow "deletion" of messages with an iCloud Mail Rule. You can only move them to Trash or another Folder of your choosing - for the reasons you mentioned.

RE: "I created a new Thermomix Spam folder in my iCloud account and another in iCloud mail account on my computer."

If you expand all the iCloud mailboxes in Mail on your Mac, you will see the folders you created in iCloud Mail. So, you don't need to create a second folder on your Mac to see and delete those messages. (Using iCloud Mail is only necessary for creating and editing Rules, not for seeing those folders.

I'm glad you are seeing some success with this approach. For me, it has completely solved the spam problem that plagued me for months.

The spam that does get through is handily processed by SpamSieve.

Jul 5, 2023 1:24 PM in response to brigitte113

In creating a rule to control or block these scammer emails there are many choices to choose from with return path being one of them. Creating rules is hard to understand and it seems to be a matter of trial and error. Return path and list-Id are a couple of these choices and can only be seen when you open all headers as I mentioned before. Understanding any more of this is way beyond my understanding.

In creating the rules the screen shot I attached I chose delete message as the action. I did this because I was certain this came from a scammer and not anyone in my contacts. My thought was I never want to see these emails so why have them go to trash or junk mail and still have to deal with them. But I learned the hard way that this isn't always the best thing to do.

I was getting junk from an email that uses Mailchimp and created a rule to delete anything from Mailchimp. The problem was not knowing that Mailchimp is a marketing automation and email marketing platform and some of my email contacts were using it to send out their weekly newsletter. Their email were also being automatically deleted. It took me a few weeks to realize this.

Deleting the rule didn't help to fix this so with the help of Apple support I had to create a new rule naming the known senders of the newsletters using Mailchimp to move the message to my inbox. What a mess! So I would suggest if you create a rule such as I did to not use delete as an action until until you are certain the emails are only from a scammer.

Scammer emails are coming from many sources and change all the time. Suddenliknmail.com seems to be one of the bigger player as is thermomix.com.sg. I tried unsuccessfully to create rules within the mail app and can't block them. So following the suggestions of Michael Fiechtner's and rmartin7me I have created 2 rules in my iCloud.com mail and can now control this. That is about all I can do for now.

Jul 16, 2023 4:42 PM in response to CarmyBeth

CarmyBeth,

I think you will drive yourself crazy creating so many folders to try and separate every junk mail sender. It is impossible.

Are the emails from Cash'App showing up unread in your junk mail folder along with other junk mail also unread? In my situation I am also getting the Cash'App junk mail along with others in my junk mail folder. I don't see this as a problem since Apple junk filter has identified them correctly placing them in my junk mail folder. Since they are unread they stand out.

Because I was getting so much junk mail from suddenlinkmail.com and thermomix mixed in with everything else it was hard for me to look thru so much to see if good email got placed there. Now that I have created rules to separate suddenlinkmail.com and thermomix I can now quickly and easily look thru the rest of the junk looking for anything that isn't junk. Once done I then control click on the junk mail folder and choose erase junk mail. They all disappear. If you don't want to bother with this and let mail do the work then in the mail app click mail, settings, accounts, mailbox behaviors, under junk mailbox...erase junk messages and choose what you like.

Jul 18, 2023 12:42 PM in response to Michael Fiechtner

Michael you have explained this perfectly and I have also gotten control of my junk mailbox by following your example creating corresponding folders for the worst offenders. Thermomix junk has disappeared altogether and suddenlinkmail.com has slowed to only a few a day now. The newest offender for me is p.gilt.com. I created a folder for them along with a new rule in iCloud mail and corralled 29 new messages that would normally end up in my junk folder. Now all I have to do is highlight one message in my p.gilt.com folder, click control A and delete to remove all of them.

I have attached 2 screenshots to help CarmyBeth see where I found the from address containing p.gilt.com. I think she was using CashApp in the rule she made instead of clicking on the drop down arrow to see the real sender.

Because these 29 spam emails were kept out of my junk folder it is making sorting thru the junk email so much easier now. Thank you Michael.

Jul 29, 2023 2:13 PM in response to Michael Fiechtner

Michael Fiechtner wrote:

Had the similar problem. Mine are addressed to ******@suddenlinkmail.com. So, it's a mystery to me how these are coming to me. I set up a rule that says "any recipient" contains "@suddenlinkmail.com", then Delete Message.

Rules only work on emails in the Inbox. So if the emails are ending up in the Junk mailbox you' have to turn off the junk filtering for that particular email so it ends up in the Inbox where the rules can work on it.

Jun 15, 2023 10:17 AM in response to Michael Fiechtner

Did it stop the unwanted junk mail? I've set it up on mine now. See what happens. I've not created any new accounts with websites nor used my actual email address on anything either. But when I try to delete the messages it takes a few goes to delete them & I am having to quit mail altogether & reboot it & even rebuilt the mail boxes!!

Jun 15, 2023 1:21 PM in response to Michael Fiechtner

Those "suddenlinkmail" message do go to your Trash folder. You will still have to delete them from there. But, they don't get processed by Spam Sieve (or whatever spam filter you use on the Mac), and they don't wind up in the In Box or Junk folder. Partial victory. But, Apple doesn't have a rule to allow you to "Vaporize" emails on the Server side.

I'm getting mail addressed to ...@suddenlinkmail.com I'd never heard of them before & its not me!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.