Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apps opening up by themselves after shutdown on Safari

Never had issues before when I shutdown my iMac it always closed applications that were open.. Now when I restart the computer all the apps are still open they never closed... I do not have anything checked saying open apps at login? So why is this happening

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 9, 2023 9:50 AM

9 replies

Feb 28, 2024 10:43 PM in response to stanbudbea67

I know the apps I want to stay open even at startup or wake up to automatically to open is done by the option stated earlier. I have a similar question though. The difference is the apps I want to stay closed on startup or wake up are MANUALLY CLOSED by me and continue to reopen regardless of everything I know that should work, but doesn't.

Jun 9, 2023 10:31 AM in response to stanbudbea67

stanbudbea67 wrote:

Never had issues before when I shutdown my iMac it always closed applications that were open.. Now when I restart the computer all the apps are still open they never closed... I do not have anything checked saying open apps at login? So why is this happening

I will say the macOS is much faster & more efficient then you, if you do not manually shutdown apps yourself— there is no advantage quitting those apps you use everyday...

ref

Prevent apps and windows from reopening on Mac

Open items automatically when you log in on Mac

Log out, sleep, wake, restart or shut down your Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-mide/guide/mac-help/mchlp2522/mac

Put your Mac to sleep or wake it - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-mide/guide/mac-help/mh10330/mac

Feb 29, 2024 1:00 AM in response to KAP478

KAP478 wrote:

I know the apps I want to stay open even at startup or wake up to automatically to open is done by the option stated earlier. I have a similar question though. The difference is the apps I want to stay closed on startup or wake up are MANUALLY CLOSED by me and continue to reopen regardless of everything I know that should work, but doesn't.

Can you clarify “MANUALLY CLOSED?”

You don’t “close” apps on macOS, you Quit them. If you are just closing all of the app’s document windows, you are not quitting the app.

Feb 29, 2024 2:17 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

KAP478 wrote:

Can you clarify “MANUALLY CLOSED?”
You don’t “close” apps on macOS, you Quit them. If you are just closing all of the app’s document windows, you are not quitting the app.

By hitting the Quit button, as you described that is exactly what I do when not using the apps often. Even when quitting the apps they still reopen unexpectedly

Feb 29, 2024 10:00 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

I don’t know why they are opening if you Quit them and the are not in Login Items.

That's why Its irritating. I only have a few log in items. Music, Messages, FaceTime and the occasional Appstore keep opening by itself even if I never opened them up at all. If I do open them and quit them after use, these 4 apps are not in the log in items anyway. They may open the next day or wait a week and then without warning I see items I never opened open

apps opening up by themselves after shutdown on Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.