Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

OS update: Dictation function is greyed out

Seems a repeat of prior a bug is back. The lastest OS update disables the dictation function. Yes, I have it enabled. Yes, I’ve tried the: turn off the dictation feature, power the phone down, power the phone back up, turn the “enable dictation” back on back….and that worked for a few minutes. Then it went back to bring a greyed out icon that I can’t touch.

Yes, I’ve tried the ADD the English UK keyboard. Again, success for a few minutes, then greyed out again.

Yes, I’ve done all the tricks in the accessibility menu and all the fixes suggested in the Nov./Dec. 2022 complaints with the is upgrade to 16.1.1.

APPLE, please FIX this bug.

Posted on Jun 9, 2023 8:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 10:58 AM

MHinAustin Said:

"I submitted the Bug Report. Thank you.: I also noticed that my dictation function comes and goes. ON then OFF then back ON (without any more setting changes by me)…..then OFF again. But the next day, back ON. Very strange."

-------

Re-Enable Dictation:

How exactly are you turning off dictation? Report back if this works...

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: General
  3. Tap: Keyboard
  4. Turn Off: Enable Dictations

If that does not work, then it is a bug a the update, a you need to report it to Apple, as I mentioned in my above reply. Wait for the next update. Apple will not know of this bug, if they receive no word on it.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2023 10:58 AM in response to MHinAustin

MHinAustin Said:

"I submitted the Bug Report. Thank you.: I also noticed that my dictation function comes and goes. ON then OFF then back ON (without any more setting changes by me)…..then OFF again. But the next day, back ON. Very strange."

-------

Re-Enable Dictation:

How exactly are you turning off dictation? Report back if this works...

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: General
  3. Tap: Keyboard
  4. Turn Off: Enable Dictations

If that does not work, then it is a bug a the update, a you need to report it to Apple, as I mentioned in my above reply. Wait for the next update. Apple will not know of this bug, if they receive no word on it.

Jun 9, 2023 8:18 PM in response to MHinAustin

MHinAustin Said:

"OS update: Dictation function is greyed out: Seems a repeat of prior a bug is back. The lastest OS update disables the dictation function. [...]APPLE, please FIX this bug."

Report this to Apple:

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know about this issue.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that this all began after installing an update. Include the URL of this post
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

OS update: Dictation function is greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.