Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Locking my phone

Iphone x I press the button on the side to lock the phone before putting it in my pocket. In my pocket it unlocks itself and I get a message on the screen saying iPhone unavailable try again in 7 minutes, or 20 minutes or 1 hour 15 minutes. How do I stop this?

iPhone X, 16

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 9:08 AM

3 replies

Jun 11, 2023 2:47 PM in response to Keithb8ker

Hi Keithb8ker,

Just to confirm, does this only happen when the device is in a pocket, or does it happen at other times as well? Do you have Raise to Wake enabled on your device? If so, does the same behavior happen when that feature is turned off? That information will help us plan how to proceed.

Please check out this link, which explains options to wake and lock iPhone, and how to check if Raise to Wake is enabled: Wake and unlock iPhone

Wake and unlock iPhone

iPhone turns off the display to save power, locks for security, and goes to sleep when you’re not using it. You can quickly wake and unlock iPhone when you want to use it again.

Wake iPhone

To wake iPhone, do one of the following:

* Press the side button.

A green arrow pointing to the button on the right side of iPhone.

* Raise iPhone.
A hand lifting iPhone from a flat surface.
* Note: To turn off Raise to Wake, go to Settings  > Display & Brightness.
* Tap the screen (on a supported iPhone model).
A finger tapping the screen to wake iPhone.

Thanks!

Jun 11, 2023 4:37 PM in response to Keithb8ker

We appreciate you keeping us updated Keithb8ker,

To clarify, you mentioned that the iPhone is becoming unlocked in your pocket. From what you've described, it sounds like the iPhone screen is turning on, but something in the pocket or external stimuli is causing input on the keypad on the iPhone screen. When a passcode is entered incorrectly too many times, your iPhone becomes unavailable instead of unlocking the device. You can read more about that here: If you see an iPhone or iPad unavailable message or Security Lockout screen - Apple Support

That being said, does this typically occur after receiving a notification, such as an incoming call, message, or from an app? If so, this may be why the screen is turning on.

You could test this by turning on a Focus such as Do Not Disturb, then placing the iPhone in your pocket with the screen locked and turned off. If the behavior still occurs, we'd suggest reaching out to Apple directly to isolate further. You can reach them using: Get Support

Have a great day!

Cheers!

Locking my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.