Mail closes immediately on opening

Hi yesterday the mail

programme on my Mac 27inch intel started closing as soon as it opens

any ideas on how to fix it ? I can’t seem to be able to download mac mail from the App Store , so I can’t delete it and re install it . Mac fully up to date ..

iOS Ventura version 13.4

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 10:50 AM

What you might try, is starting your mac in Safemode. Then test if mail works there. If it does, there's possibly something in your normal login environment interfering with Mail. One thing while you are in Safemode if Mail will start, is to use the Rebuild Mailbox option and also use the Connection Doctor to insure those are not causing the problem. Otherwise you will need to find which application is interfering. The most likely suspect willl be 3rd party optimizers, cleaners, and/or anti-virus apps.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

To rebuild mailboxes:

Click the inbox of each mailbox in the sidebar, then click the upper menu Mailbox, Rebuild.

To use connection Doctor:

Open Mail app, click upper menu, Window. Click on Connection Doctor.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2023 10:50 AM in response to catscanker

What you might try, is starting your mac in Safemode. Then test if mail works there. If it does, there's possibly something in your normal login environment interfering with Mail. One thing while you are in Safemode if Mail will start, is to use the Rebuild Mailbox option and also use the Connection Doctor to insure those are not causing the problem. Otherwise you will need to find which application is interfering. The most likely suspect willl be 3rd party optimizers, cleaners, and/or anti-virus apps.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

To rebuild mailboxes:

Click the inbox of each mailbox in the sidebar, then click the upper menu Mailbox, Rebuild.

To use connection Doctor:

Open Mail app, click upper menu, Window. Click on Connection Doctor.

Mail closes immediately on opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.