iPad Air 5 heating up while using Notes with Apple pencil

This issue specifically happens when using Notes app + Apple pencil. The right side of the device heats up, probably where the M1 chip is located. It is not present when using any other app with Apple pencil like Goodnotes and also is not present if you just normally use Notes app without apple pencil. This issue has been raised many times over the last few years. Can anyone explain why Apple has not fixed this issue, considering its the built-in Notes app?

I have tried restarting but the issue remains. Would like to know if anyone has any recommendations to fix this since I like using the stock Notes app that comes with the iPad.

iPad Air, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 11:17 PM

I'm facing exactly the same issue. My iPad Air 5 heats up on the right side (in portrait mode, near where the apple pencil attaches) while using the Notes app with the pencil.

Similar questions

21 replies

Oct 30, 2023 4:02 AM in response to yachint-y

Hey,

I have been facing the same issue from 1 month now. When I am using the Apple notes with the apple pencil. The right side of the ipad where we attach the apple pencil gets hot. It is not a issue with the other note taking apps. This is just a issue with Apple Notes.

Do let me know if someone is facing similar issue or something else on this.

Feb 25, 2024 7:50 PM in response to yachint-y

I an encountering the same problem with my M2 iPad Pro, I an expecting that it is a problem of all iPads when using any stylus. The iPad seems to be struggling to register the Apple Pencil and that consumes lots of power and uses lots of the CPU. However, I am really confused by that, as it should be a basic task. I hope Apple can address this seriously.

iPad Air 5 heating up while using Notes with Apple pencil

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.