Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Deleting photos from iCloud but keeping them offline

I want to free up space in iCloud because I use it to sync photos and videos from iPhone to Mac but now iCloud is full. I think most photos have also got saved on Mac. Now how do I make sure that if I delete photos from iCloud, they will not get deleted from my physical devices?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 2:54 AM

You can have several Photos Libraries on your Mac. only one of them can be syncing with iCloud. iCloud is keeping the local iCloud Photos Library identical with the library in iCloud. Any item you delete there will be deleted from the mac and iCloud. But any item you are saving in additional Photos Libraries is safe and will only be stored locally.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2023 2:54 AM in response to Jana799

You can have several Photos Libraries on your Mac. only one of them can be syncing with iCloud. iCloud is keeping the local iCloud Photos Library identical with the library in iCloud. Any item you delete there will be deleted from the mac and iCloud. But any item you are saving in additional Photos Libraries is safe and will only be stored locally.

Jun 10, 2023 12:56 PM in response to Jana799

iCloud contains your computer's "Desktop" and "Documents" folders (and their contents). (Unless you uncheck the box for Desktop and Documents in iCloud settings.)

I would make sure that you do, indeed, have backups of your important photos and videos. I would make sure that those backups are contained elsewhere in your computer, i.e., not on your Desktop and not in your "Documents" folder.

Deleting photos from iCloud but keeping them offline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.