MacBook Pro 2015 not charging after battery change

Yesterday while using my MacBook Pro retina 13” 2015 A1502 , it did get unplugged while I moved it off the table but as soon as the magnetic charger touched the charging port (before it even connected), it immediately shut off. The charger no longer was working for some reason,(no light at all) it had been working fine prior (third party charger) , my MacBook has recently had its battery replaced (14 cycles) and battery health is pristine. My MacBook is now dead and I can’t get it to charge at all, tried PRAM resetting , it also shuts off mid MSC rebooting .

tried taking the better out and reconnecting everything, still no change

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 6:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 7:36 PM

Hello Bk_rei,

Thank you for reaching out regarding the issue you're experiencing with your MacBook Pro 2015 not charging after a battery change. I understand the frustration you're facing, and I'm here to assist you.

Based on the information provided, it appears that your MacBook shut off immediately when the magnetic charger touched the charging port, and now the charger is not working at all. Additionally, you've mentioned that you've recently had the battery replaced and have attempted troubleshooting steps like PRAM resetting and reconnecting the battery, but the issue persists.

Here are a few additional steps you can try to troubleshoot the charging problem:

1. Check the charger and power adapter: Firstly, ensure that the charger and power adapter are not damaged or visibly faulty. Inspect the charging cable, connectors, and power adapter for any signs of damage or wear. If possible, try using a different charger or power adapter to rule out any issues with the charging equipment.

2. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC): The SMC controls power management on your MacBook. Resetting it can help resolve charging-related issues. Here's how to reset the SMC on your MacBook Pro:

- Shut down your MacBook.

- Press and hold the Shift + Control + Option keys on the left side of the keyboard and the power button simultaneously.

- Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

- Press the power button to turn on your MacBook.

3. Verify the charging port and cable connections: Ensure that the charging port on your MacBook Pro is clean and free from any debris or obstruction. Use compressed air or a soft brush to gently clean the port if necessary. Additionally, check the cable connections to ensure they are securely plugged in on both ends.

4. Apple Authorized Service Provider: If the issue persists after trying the above steps, I recommend contacting an Apple Authorized Service Provider (Find Locations) or Apple Support (Official Apple Support) directly. They have access to advanced diagnostic tools and can provide specific guidance based on your MacBook Pro model and the recent battery replacement.

Please note that using third-party chargers or accessories may sometimes lead to compatibility issues or unexpected behavior. It's generally recommended to use genuine Apple chargers and accessories to ensure optimal performance and compatibility.

I hope these steps help you in resolving the charging issue with your MacBook Pro. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please let me know.

Best regards,

Lugab

[Edited by Moderator]

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2023 7:36 PM in response to Bk_rei

Hello Bk_rei,

Thank you for reaching out regarding the issue you're experiencing with your MacBook Pro 2015 not charging after a battery change. I understand the frustration you're facing, and I'm here to assist you.

Based on the information provided, it appears that your MacBook shut off immediately when the magnetic charger touched the charging port, and now the charger is not working at all. Additionally, you've mentioned that you've recently had the battery replaced and have attempted troubleshooting steps like PRAM resetting and reconnecting the battery, but the issue persists.

Here are a few additional steps you can try to troubleshoot the charging problem:

1. Check the charger and power adapter: Firstly, ensure that the charger and power adapter are not damaged or visibly faulty. Inspect the charging cable, connectors, and power adapter for any signs of damage or wear. If possible, try using a different charger or power adapter to rule out any issues with the charging equipment.

2. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC): The SMC controls power management on your MacBook. Resetting it can help resolve charging-related issues. Here's how to reset the SMC on your MacBook Pro:

- Shut down your MacBook.

- Press and hold the Shift + Control + Option keys on the left side of the keyboard and the power button simultaneously.

- Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

- Press the power button to turn on your MacBook.

3. Verify the charging port and cable connections: Ensure that the charging port on your MacBook Pro is clean and free from any debris or obstruction. Use compressed air or a soft brush to gently clean the port if necessary. Additionally, check the cable connections to ensure they are securely plugged in on both ends.

4. Apple Authorized Service Provider: If the issue persists after trying the above steps, I recommend contacting an Apple Authorized Service Provider (Find Locations) or Apple Support (Official Apple Support) directly. They have access to advanced diagnostic tools and can provide specific guidance based on your MacBook Pro model and the recent battery replacement.

Please note that using third-party chargers or accessories may sometimes lead to compatibility issues or unexpected behavior. It's generally recommended to use genuine Apple chargers and accessories to ensure optimal performance and compatibility.

I hope these steps help you in resolving the charging issue with your MacBook Pro. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please let me know.

Best regards,

Lugab

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 2015 not charging after battery change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.