Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos App on Mac issues with .Nef files

For 6 mths no problems. I would import photos taken on Nikon Z6ii CF Express card by plugging in and ‘import all new photos’ directly in the Photos program.

Now while I can still import photos, if I edit them, even just crop, im

left with an image that iS of the poorest quality (like when you expand a thumbnail to a large size). Same if I drag and drop the photo to desktop. It either says error and won’t drop it, or drops it at thumbnail quality.

any advice would be gladly appreciated.

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 12:04 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jun 11, 2023 6:56 AM in response to kristy7124

I recommend putting all the photos on your computer directly, as opposed to the flash card, and then trying to import them. Flash drive file transfer can be finicky with anything but the Finder.

If Photos still doesn't import them, you may want to convert the files with http://www.lemkesoft.com/ GraphicConverter to TIFF or other file format that maintains the metadata.

Jun 11, 2023 4:02 PM in response to a brody

thanks Brody. So just to be clear, it wasn’t a flash drive but the camera CF express card, taken straight out of camera and plugged into computer, then in Photos, ‘import new photos’. Imports fine, but as soon as I edit, the quality appearance drops, and any, even unedited photos can’t be dragged out onto desktop to then be used as they then appear as thumbnail size.

I’ve always done it this way for years not problems, but last 6 mths it’s been problematic.

my a software is all up to date.

I have also tried opening the camera card in finder, then dragging them across into Photos to import a different way and still same problem.

Feb 5, 2024 6:24 AM in response to kristy7124

I have tried importing into the photo program to my Mac book pro and iMac the NEF files. Both from card reader and the camera. The only thing that works is to copy from card directly to the computer then import them. Is apple working on this problem. By the way everything reads the file except photo program. Preview will open them up from the card directly.

Photos App on Mac issues with .Nef files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.