My copy of Safari can't open many websites-why not?

I realize that that issue-Safari's inability to open some or all websites-is probably due to some ill-advised setting I have made in Safari. OK, mea culpa. How do I either figure out which setting is causing the problem, or how do I reset Safari to All Systems Go to start afresh? Thanks for any help you can offer.

By "Can't open" I mean that if I click on a highlighted name or subject, or "Enter" a new subject, what happens is not a new image onscreen, but just a blank grey screen bearing no information whatever.

Mac mini, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 12:02 PM

Hello Birck Cox,

If you're unable to open webpages in Safari as expected, please review the information and suggestions outlined in this link, which may help with that issue: If Safari doesn't open a page or work as expected on your Mac

Check Safari settings

The webpage might not be compatible with one or more browser settings, which you can turn on or off as needed. From the menu bar in Safari, choose Safari > Settings (or Preferences). Then click Websites, Privacy, or Security to access these settings:

* Privacy settings. These settings apply to all websites. For example, a website might require that you allow cross-site tracking, show your IP address, or allow cookies.
* Security settings. These settings apply to all websites. For example, a website might require that you enable JavaScript.
* Websites settings. These settings can be configured for specific websites. For example, a website might require that you allow pop-up windows, allow downloads, allow access to your camera or microphone, or turn off content blockers.

Thanks!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2023 12:02 PM in response to Birck Cox

Hello Birck Cox,

If you're unable to open webpages in Safari as expected, please review the information and suggestions outlined in this link, which may help with that issue: If Safari doesn't open a page or work as expected on your Mac

Check Safari settings

The webpage might not be compatible with one or more browser settings, which you can turn on or off as needed. From the menu bar in Safari, choose Safari > Settings (or Preferences). Then click Websites, Privacy, or Security to access these settings:

* Privacy settings. These settings apply to all websites. For example, a website might require that you allow cross-site tracking, show your IP address, or allow cookies.
* Security settings. These settings apply to all websites. For example, a website might require that you enable JavaScript.
* Websites settings. These settings can be configured for specific websites. For example, a website might require that you allow pop-up windows, allow downloads, allow access to your camera or microphone, or turn off content blockers.

Thanks!

My copy of Safari can't open many websites-why not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.