Can't see my iMac 2019 as an external monitor with default resolution which is 3200x1800

Hello,

I wanted to use my iMac (2019) as an external monitor through my MacAir M1 but it only showed 4k as a clear but it's not possible to change it. I'm trying that default resolution on the iMac, which is 3200x1800, but I can't see it in the list on MacAir, and I also can't add another resolution as manually. I saw some discussion in the community but unfortunately Apple does not care about it.

Yes, please take care of your users issue/s than new things!

Thank you,

Jufs

iMac 27″

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 10:28 AM

You won't see the iMac as an external monitor.

It cannot be used as such. It's a computer, not a monitor.

Target display mode is a feature that was available only with certain older iMac models.

The feature has been deprecated by Apple and is no longer supported in hardware or software.

Please see: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2023 10:28 AM in response to Jufs

You won't see the iMac as an external monitor.

It cannot be used as such. It's a computer, not a monitor.

Target display mode is a feature that was available only with certain older iMac models.

The feature has been deprecated by Apple and is no longer supported in hardware or software.

Please see: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Jun 13, 2023 10:53 AM in response to Jufs

Native support in the macOS for the use of an iMac as a directly connected monitor for any of the newest Macs is not provided by Apple.

Are you using AirPlay? If so, I believe the highest resolution for that will be 1080p with a 16:9 aspect. It doesn't support the max resolution of the iMac.

Please see: Stream audio and video from your Mac with AirPlay - Apple Support

I am aware of third-party solutions such as Luna Display or Duet Display, but support for those products will come from their respective manufacturers.

Jun 13, 2023 11:00 AM in response to Jufs

Jufs wrote:

I'm able to use, it's just a resolution issue.

What connection and process are you using?

Screen Sharing is limited by the slave computers resolution.

Third Party software like Luna Display and Duet Display have inherent resolution limitations.

As mentioned, those Mac’s do not support Target Display Mode.

Can't see my iMac 2019 as an external monitor with default resolution which is 3200x1800

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.