Playing DVD from external drive in Ventura

I've looked at older questions, but now we're in 2023, and nothing looks or acts the same as 2022. VLC has not been updated since 2020, so i don't want to use it. I have an LG DVD writer external, hooked up to a multiport adapter (since the new Macbooks only come with the USB-C ports). Brand new Macbook, Ventura, everything updated. When I put a DVD in the driver, iTunes recognizes it as a music disc and wants to import. I cannot get DVD Player to recognize it, or even QuickTime player. In "system settings-general-sharing CD, DVD" I have sharing ON. My ultimate goal was to play the DVD on my computer, and hdmi the computer to the TV. Can you suggest a next step? Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 11:17 AM

19 replies

Jun 13, 2023 2:38 PM in response to cedwards220

I have an LG optical drive from OWC plugged into my 2017 iMac running Ventura and when I insert a video DVD it starts playing automatically with DVD Player. DVD Player is located here in Ventura:

Check to see if it is on your M1 Mac. If it is you can set it to automatically launch whenever a video DVD is inserted in the optical drive:

This Settings pane is not available unless the optical drive is on and plugged in.

Jun 13, 2023 12:36 PM in response to Old Toad

The adapter has a power in port (currently empty) so i'm thinking it is self powered. i'll have to look for something to plug into it. thanks. I didn't think of that.

As for the System Info, I found a "disk burning" item, and no device found. It's the only one that looks like it might fit, so I guess it's not recognized. Would that be because of lack of power?

thanks for responding so quickly. :-)

Jun 13, 2023 2:28 PM in response to Old Toad

ok, I turned everything off, and started over. player is now listed in Disc Burning item, but i'm not sure what you mean by your other question "Can you see the dock in the USB or other section of the report?"

looks like this

3.1 bus

3.1 hub

2.1 hub

USB-c vid adapter

MT1807

USB reciever

So, its showing the hub. yes.

Interesting listed in Storage, too.

The player is plugged directly into the hub.

I opened DVD Player app, but it still won't open the video. Could it be because the player is now 10 years old?

Jun 13, 2023 2:46 PM in response to Old Toad

Ive been opening through Spotlight.

I had already tweaked that setting, earlier today. The viewer is open but it won't open the dvd.

I can go to the view File, Open DVD Media, the folder is the external player, and all the files are listed. I click on Open button, and it does nothing but close that option window.

I'm going to go grab a regular movie (this one is a musical) and see if i can get past iTunes

Playing DVD from external drive in Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.