Activation Lock is requesting password from lost iPad

My iPad was stolen on 05 May 2023. I have put it on Lost Mode ever since. Recently (on 09 Jun2 2023) I received an email from Apple with the subject 'Activation Lock is requesting your password on Asira's iPad'. The email is quite generic and I do not understand how it was triggered. If someone is in fact trying to open my iPad, they must have been connected to the internet for this email to have been triggered. If they were connected to the internet then why was 'Find My' not able to trace it? Also, in that case, if we send a formal request from the legal authority of our country, will Apple be able to trace the IP address of the network from which this request was triggered?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 9:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 1:20 AM

You have likely received a phishing (scam) email from whoever is in possession of your stolen device - and with this email, the perpetrator is attempting to fool you into revealing information that will allow your iPad to be unlocked and reused.

See >>> Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

If you are unsure of the source or provenance of a message or alert, do not respond to, or engage with, the message. Certainly do not, under any circumstances, attempt to contact anyone using the contact details or links that have been provided within the message itself.

If you need to verify a message from Apple, make independent contact with Apple Support - using the Support link that you will find at top-right or bottom left of this Support Community page - or other legitimate Apple website. I could provide the link here - but that would undermine you finding and using a legitimate trusted link to Apple Support.

Most scam alerts are designed to scare the unwary into giving away sensitive information - or to fool you into doing something that you shouldn’t - usually to defraud you financially, or in this case to gain access to a stolen device and/or your AppleID account.

If you suspect that your AppleID has been compromised, follow the advice outlined here:

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2023 1:20 AM in response to asira_khanal

You have likely received a phishing (scam) email from whoever is in possession of your stolen device - and with this email, the perpetrator is attempting to fool you into revealing information that will allow your iPad to be unlocked and reused.

See >>> Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

If you are unsure of the source or provenance of a message or alert, do not respond to, or engage with, the message. Certainly do not, under any circumstances, attempt to contact anyone using the contact details or links that have been provided within the message itself.

If you need to verify a message from Apple, make independent contact with Apple Support - using the Support link that you will find at top-right or bottom left of this Support Community page - or other legitimate Apple website. I could provide the link here - but that would undermine you finding and using a legitimate trusted link to Apple Support.

Most scam alerts are designed to scare the unwary into giving away sensitive information - or to fool you into doing something that you shouldn’t - usually to defraud you financially, or in this case to gain access to a stolen device and/or your AppleID account.

If you suspect that your AppleID has been compromised, follow the advice outlined here:

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

Activation Lock is requesting password from lost iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.