Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

PLEASE HELP! I don't know how to export/share my movie in iMovie. :-(

PLEASE HELP! I don't know how to export or share my video project. It took me many hours to put it together and now I cannot share it. The problem is, that all video files, that I used for it, are on SD card. Now, whenever I click on share, it says that I can not share it, because it uses items "in camera". What can I do?

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 12:19 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jun 14, 2023 8:51 PM in response to tadeasnovak

Hi,

Unfortunately, it looks like you never completed the import into iMovie. If that's your situation, then you need to do a re-import. That would import the clips, but you would lose all of the edits that you made in the project and would need to start over. Bummer, I know.

As a workaround, you can play the project at full screen and make a full-screen recording of it as it plays on your Mac display. That would leave you with a .mov file on your desktop that preserves the edits that you made. You could then drag the screen recording into into an iMovie project to make editing adjustments if you find it necessary.

So, open your project and click on the outpointing arrows in the lower right hand corner of the preview screen. That will expand the preview screen to fill your Mac screen. Then do a Command-shift-5 to reveal controls at the bottom of your screen as shown in this screen shot.

In the control box, click on the full screen icon, and then "Record", and then get your movie playing on the screen. When the movie finishes, click on the little white box in the black circle at the top of the screen to stop the recording.

While you are doing the screen recording I find it helpful to first plug in earphone or ear buds into the mic jack on your Mac. That will keep the sound in your movie from sounding tinny. You won't hear the sound playing while recording the movie unless you have the ear buds in your ear.

Hope this helps. Perhaps others will chime in here with other suggestions.

-- Rich

Sep 6, 2023 9:52 AM in response to tadeasnovak

Hmmmm. To cover the bases, make sure that you unplug the ear mic when you do your playback of the screen recording. Also, when you are making the screen recording, make sure that you have your sound control activated in the video's control box.

And make sure that you do not otherwise have your sound muted on your Mac.

Here are the screen recording settings that I use with the Command-Shift-5 feature:

--Rich

Sep 6, 2023 2:29 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

thanks a lot for your time and the advice. That was exactly what I needed and also very well explained. You are really good at that. I am sorry I didn't react sooner. It took me a few months to get back to this project. The full-screen recording is definitely the best way to solve it, because I spent many hours editing and the video has about 100 cuts...

However, I wasn't successful yet with the recording. :-( I have the picture, but not the sound. I tried that both with earphones plugged in, and without, but there is still no sound. The control panel offers some settings and there is an option for an external microphone (or sound from MS Teams or ZOOM), but there is no option to record the sound directly from the computer... I thought it will be recorded automatically, but it's not...

Please, do you have any idea how to record the movie including the sound?

Thank You and many greetings from Prague!

Tadeas

PLEASE HELP! I don't know how to export/share my movie in iMovie. :-(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.