Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Cardio & Recovery rate not logging consistently

Hello.

Have an issue with my Cardio Recovery Rate not being recorded in the Health app via my Apple Watch. I have a S8 45mm watch and and iPhone 14 Pro Max. Software on both is up to date.

For some reason, a couple of the Cardio recording options are sporadic. Cardio Fitness seems to just update when it feels like it. It can go 2-ish weeks without recording anything, and if you look back over the year, there are lots of gaps. It has updated on the 10th of June, but this was the first update since the 31st May. It also updated on the 29th of May, but then before that it last recorded a reading on the 8th of May. However, more inconsistent is the cardio recovery. Last entry is the 31st April. The reading prior was the 22nd April. The reading before that was the 5th of Feb.

For context, I cycle 5 miles 5 days a week for exercise and record these as a Cycle workout, the two days I don’t cycle I record 90-120 minute boxing workouts. I walk frequently too, and if going on a long walk with my children/family, I record these too (albeit slow walks because of the age of my children).

There isn’t really anything pressing or urgent about these readings, but, I do use them to monitor changes if I’m feeling unwell or struggling with the workouts. I’m 41 and have Asthma which affects me daily, so I like to keep tabs on what my cardio levels are like, as I find these do fluctuate when I’m having issues with my asthma. I do also (was also, but readings are becoming too infrequent to be helpful) use these readings when discussing changes to my medication at the Asthma clinic/checkups, so to have this data not being recorded consistently is becoming frustrating.

I do not want to reset my phone to factory as I don’t see this as the issue, but I have, about 6 weeks ago, factory reset my Watch and set up as new to resolve a Messages issue (which did work). The sporadic reading issues with the Watch have been present pre and post reset.

Any help appreciated.

Thankyou,

Dan

Apple Watch Series 8

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2024 1:03 PM

I have the same issue where my iphone 15 pro and apple watch series 6 randomly tracks Cardio Recovery than just stops for no reason. This is becoming rather frustrating. I do not want to do a factory reset as I have a heart condition and I like to be able to back track when speaking with my Cardiologist. It seems that there are many people with the same on going issue. I make sure my phone and watch are constantly updated and this issue has happened several times over the last 2 years! Perhaps I require a new watch as this one may be defective? I do not have the time or patience to keep research every single procedure to get this thing tracking again as it gets to be time consuming.

Thanks Kindly,

Frustrated Customer.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2024 1:03 PM in response to Dan the 480 Man

I have the same issue where my iphone 15 pro and apple watch series 6 randomly tracks Cardio Recovery than just stops for no reason. This is becoming rather frustrating. I do not want to do a factory reset as I have a heart condition and I like to be able to back track when speaking with my Cardiologist. It seems that there are many people with the same on going issue. I make sure my phone and watch are constantly updated and this issue has happened several times over the last 2 years! Perhaps I require a new watch as this one may be defective? I do not have the time or patience to keep research every single procedure to get this thing tracking again as it gets to be time consuming.

Thanks Kindly,

Frustrated Customer.

Apr 14, 2024 5:03 PM in response to Dan the 480 Man

I have the same issue. After I end a workout on my Apple Watch SE, my Post-Workout Heart Rate is displayed on my iPhone 13 Mini's Fitness app. However, no data is shared with the Health app under Cardio Recovery. In fact, Health has only recorded Cardio Recovery data once, back in August of 2023. I owned my watch since December of 2022.

I contacted Apple Support via chat and was promised a call from Health app support. I never received it.

Apr 16, 2024 10:16 AM in response to Dan the 480 Man

Cardio Recovery and Cardio Fitness are related and only record data from outside walks, runs and hikes of at least 20 minutes. I knew this was true for Cardio Fitness, but I had assumed that Cardio Recovery would get heart rate recovery data from my Fitness app. I live in Alaska and exercise regularly indoors and my watch and the Fitness app dutifully record my heartrate recovery. However, this does not get transferred to Cardio Recovery in Health. This is unfortunate, as I cannot see if there is any positive or negative trend.

I guess I will need to make a point of exercising in the Alaska's great outdoors this summer.

It took a call to Apple and a call back from a Health app support person to explain this to me.

Cardio & Recovery rate not logging consistently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.