I’ve upgraded my iCloud and I’d like to make more space on my phone. How do I move photos from my phone to icloud

I’ve upgraded my iCloud storage and I’d like to make more space on my phone. How do I move videos and photos from my device to my iCloud?

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 11:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 11:20 PM

To do what you ask can only be accomplished in part. iCloud is more of a backup service, not a storage solution. However, in the case of photos is can help make space on your device by only keeping lower quality versions on your phone while storing full quality in iCloud. Read about optimization specifically with reference to - Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

--> Save space on your device

iCloud Photos keeps all your photos and videos in their original, high-resolution version. You can save space on your device when you turn on Optimize Storage.

If you really wish to not have some photos at all on on your device, transfer them to a computer (which was not exactly what you were asking about).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2023 11:20 PM in response to raquita177

To do what you ask can only be accomplished in part. iCloud is more of a backup service, not a storage solution. However, in the case of photos is can help make space on your device by only keeping lower quality versions on your phone while storing full quality in iCloud. Read about optimization specifically with reference to - Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

--> Save space on your device

iCloud Photos keeps all your photos and videos in their original, high-resolution version. You can save space on your device when you turn on Optimize Storage.

If you really wish to not have some photos at all on on your device, transfer them to a computer (which was not exactly what you were asking about).

Jun 15, 2023 11:16 PM in response to raquita177

raquita177 Said:

"I’ve upgraded my iCloud storage and I’d like to make more space on my phone. How do I move videos and photos from my device to my iCloud?"

-------

Clear Internal Space.

Troubleshooting iPad Storage:

Internal storage cannot be upgraded. It is what it is. So, the maximum internal storage capacity never increases, even if you upgraded your iCloud plan. Learn More here: What's the Difference Between Device Storage and iCloud Storage? Apple Support

So, what to do...

Clear Space Using my User Tips:

Jun 15, 2023 11:14 PM in response to raquita177

iCloud photos is not meant to be used as a backup place for your photos.

You can only use iCloud Photos to keep your photos in sync across all of your devices. Deleting photos/videos on your iPhone after syncing with iCloud Photos will also delete those photos/videos in iCloud.

Transferring your photos/videos to your computer or an external hard drive would be an option to back up your data.

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone or iPad to your Mac or PC - Apple Support

I’ve upgraded my iCloud and I’d like to make more space on my phone. How do I move photos from my phone to icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.