Reminders App Blank and Non-responsive After Time Machine Migration

I recently migrated a 2021 M1 iMac to a new 2023 M2 Max Mac Studio.

The Reminders app is blank and non-responsive.

• Does not sync to iCloud
  • Does NOT allow manual entry of new list or reminder
  • Settings: the Default list is blank

NOTE: The app was running perfectly on iMac. All my other devices continue to sync normally and the Reminders in iCloud web interface also works and syncs.

This appears to be a corrupted support file. Any clues about which one?

MacBook Pro (M2 Max, 2023)

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 12:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2023 9:01 AM

Found a solution that worked for me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/pq4gdr/comment/kbomvti/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

1. Close the Reminders app (if open)
  2. Delete the contents of /Users/[yourusername]/Library/Reminders
  3. Delete /Users/[yourusername]/Library/Group Containers/group.com.apple.reminders
  4. Open Activity Monitor and search for remindd processes and Force Quit it.
  5. Relaunch Reminders. Should work (I had to re-enable iCloud Reminders sync in System Prefs, but it's working again)

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2023 9:01 AM in response to JMF

Found a solution that worked for me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/pq4gdr/comment/kbomvti/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

1. Close the Reminders app (if open)
  2. Delete the contents of /Users/[yourusername]/Library/Reminders
  3. Delete /Users/[yourusername]/Library/Group Containers/group.com.apple.reminders
  4. Open Activity Monitor and search for remindd processes and Force Quit it.
  5. Relaunch Reminders. Should work (I had to re-enable iCloud Reminders sync in System Prefs, but it's working again)

Jun 16, 2023 8:24 AM in response to hdlebowitz

After spending a half-hour online with a super helpful Senior Support technician at Apple the problem was fixed.

Troubleshooting tasks included creating a test user to verify that sync was working properly, it was, we then reached the solution. I suspected, correctly, that there were some corrupted files in the Library and once those were deleted and the system Re-Started the Reminders app functioned properly.

There are TWO Library folders located at /Users/YOUR USER NAME HERE/Library/Reminders

Move these to the Desktop

Then, restart your Mac

Open the Reminders app and it will rebuild the folders and sync properly.

After you verify that all is good, delete the folder that you placed on the desktop.

Dec 12, 2023 3:02 AM in response to JMF

I can concur, this solution — excellently and correctly detailed — immediately solved the same problem I had been having since my Sonoma update (on an OpenCore-Patcher MacBook Pro 15" 2016, no less). Thank you, JMF!

Add'l tip: Given that the 'Library' folder is, in most cases, a hidden folder, it's worth keeping an alias to the folder on the desktop, for easy access.

Reminders App Blank and Non-responsive After Time Machine Migration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.