Conditional Highlighting

Can't use a formula. I want cells to be red if more than 1.2 times the cell to the left. When I click done Rule 1 just disappears. Instructions:

"Click to use a cell reference. A cell reference lets you compare the cell’s value to another cell—so, for example, you can highlight a cell when its value is greater than another cell’s. Click a cell to select it, or enter its table address (for example, F1)."

Can't get that to work. I have macOS Ventura 13.4, Chrome Version 111.0.5563.64 (Official Build) (arm64), & Numbers version 13.1 (7037.0.101)

iMac 24″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 7:56 PM

Here's one way:

Column A contains the "cell(s) to the left.

Column B contains the cells to be highlighted.

Column C contains the values necessary to trigger the conditional highlighting of the cell in that row of column B.

the values in this column are determined by a simple formula:

The conditional Formatting rule applied to cells in Column B is shown in the sidebar to the right of the table.

Select all cells in column B, open the Conditional Highlighting pane, and set the rule as it applies to the first cell in B2

Regards,

Barry

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2023 7:56 PM in response to hank3737

Here's one way:

Column A contains the "cell(s) to the left.

Column B contains the cells to be highlighted.

Column C contains the values necessary to trigger the conditional highlighting of the cell in that row of column B.

the values in this column are determined by a simple formula:

The conditional Formatting rule applied to cells in Column B is shown in the sidebar to the right of the table.

Select all cells in column B, open the Conditional Highlighting pane, and set the rule as it applies to the first cell in B2

Regards,

Barry

Jun 30, 2023 12:16 AM in response to hank3737

Conditional Highlighting rules compare the value in the cell to be highlighted to a fixed value, written into the rule, or to a variable value, contained in a second cell.

In this case, the comparison value needs to be calculated, using the value in the cell to be highlighted.

As you want the highlight to be applied when the value in column C is equal to or greater than the (calculated) comparison value, and probably do not want empty cells like those in rows 9 and 10, I've included Rule 1 to prevent the red fill when the cell is empty, or contains zero.

Cell F2 contains a formula to calculate the minimum value needed in 'this row' to trigger the red fill:

=B2*1.2

Filled down to F10.

Column F (or whatever column you choose to hold the formula) may be hidden.

I used a Custom Style in the CH rule to use a brighter red than the one labeled "Red Fill" in the set of filll colours provided.

Regards,

Barry

Jun 26, 2023 6:58 PM in response to hank3737

Hi Hank,

Apologies for not getting back to you earlier!

Ifyou've solved the issue, please reply with a not that you've done so.

If not, can you provide a description of what you've tried and what happened when you tried it.

A screen shot of the part to the table containing the cells in question, and one of the formula as it appears in the formula editor would also be useful.

Regards,

Barry

Jun 29, 2023 1:12 PM in response to Barry

I don't want to screen-shot my spreadsheet, but I thought I described it well above. Just two cells. I want C2 to be red if it is 1.2 times or more than what's in B2. I've never been able to create a formula as stated above. When the highlighting rule works I'll apply it to B3/C3, B4/C4, etc down the column.

Jun 30, 2023 12:03 AM in response to hank3737

hank3737 wrote:

Just two cells. I want C2 to be red if it is 1.2 times or more than what's in B2.

You need a third cell D2 containing the formula in Barry's post. To enter the formula, click D2, type = to call up the formula editor, click B2 so that formula editor automatically enters that reference, then type *1.2 and return. The cell will then contain the formula.

Then in a separate step select C2 and enter the highlighting rule.

You can then hide column D if you want.

SG

Conditional Highlighting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.