Print from iPad to HP Laserjet 4000n

I have an old HP Lazerjet 4000N I print to it from my Mac using an Apple express as a print server. The printer has a network card. To get any computer to print to it I need to manually enter the printer IP address. Once I do that it works well and us cheap and bulletproof. Is there an app or some way to print from my iPad to this printer on the network?

thanks

kent

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jun 17, 2023 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2023 3:15 PM

See:

Apple AirPrint is a driverless connection protocol. A high proportion of modern printers intended for Home, SoHo and Business environments now support AirPrint. Check your printer model against this list:

About AirPrint - Apple Support

If your printer is not compatible with AirPrint, your iPad will not be able to print directly - even when using an AiPort Express to provide a WiFi to ethernet bridge connection to a network printer.

Some printer manufacturers have a suitable companion App that provides Print capabilities for mobile devices, often using a web-based print service. Others can print directly if the App supports other network printing protocols. By example, many modern HP Printers use the HP Smart App - available in the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/hp-smart/id469284907

To print via the AirPort Express, you’ll need either a computer to provide AirPrint services - or a dedicated AirPrint Server Appliance on your network. One example is the Lantronix xPrintServer.

The remaining (and potentially cheaper) solution is to simply replace your printer with one that is AirPrint capable.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2023 3:15 PM in response to JKW

See:

Apple AirPrint is a driverless connection protocol. A high proportion of modern printers intended for Home, SoHo and Business environments now support AirPrint. Check your printer model against this list:

About AirPrint - Apple Support

If your printer is not compatible with AirPrint, your iPad will not be able to print directly - even when using an AiPort Express to provide a WiFi to ethernet bridge connection to a network printer.

Some printer manufacturers have a suitable companion App that provides Print capabilities for mobile devices, often using a web-based print service. Others can print directly if the App supports other network printing protocols. By example, many modern HP Printers use the HP Smart App - available in the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/hp-smart/id469284907

To print via the AirPort Express, you’ll need either a computer to provide AirPrint services - or a dedicated AirPrint Server Appliance on your network. One example is the Lantronix xPrintServer.

The remaining (and potentially cheaper) solution is to simply replace your printer with one that is AirPrint capable.

Print from iPad to HP Laserjet 4000n

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.