Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Downgrading HomeKit back to old architecture

Here's the answer to the question above I want to share with you. Even apple support didn't know this answer. After "upgrading" homekit, on some of your devices the Home app will not work. I found a solution in another forum, that I want to post here.

On you Ios device, got to : http://appldnld.apple.com/iOSProfiles/KeepLegacyHome.mobileconfig

• install the profile 
  • go to settings - HomeKit - rest 
  • press the red button, or choose "Reset configuration". (it will reset all of your Homes and you’ll need to do everything from scratch) 
  • Wait 10-15 minutes without touching devices with your Apple ID (as it also resets all server side settings) 
  • Open home and create a new home. It will be with old architecture. If you want to check if it was downgraded you can check if it’s possible to add an iPad as a hub (with new architecture it’s not possible, or, more obvious, to check if there is an upgrade banner in the Updates menu)

And you'll be up and running again on all your devices.

Posted on Jun 17, 2023 4:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 7:01 AM

I tried this with Apple support and using the link/info here and it didn’t work as of July ‘23. After the architecture update, my automations stopped working and my iPad is no longer/won’t be a hub. I’m not buying extra equipment just to make an app run. Giving up on HomeKit and Home until they let users use it the way they want, need, and can afford.

Similar questions

47 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2023 7:01 AM in response to Frenkieboy

I tried this with Apple support and using the link/info here and it didn’t work as of July ‘23. After the architecture update, my automations stopped working and my iPad is no longer/won’t be a hub. I’m not buying extra equipment just to make an app run. Giving up on HomeKit and Home until they let users use it the way they want, need, and can afford.

Mar 17, 2024 3:16 PM in response to Frenkieboy

Anyone been able to implement this solution with iOS 17.4? I've successfully downloaded and installed the profile multiple times, but no matter what I do, how many times I try, or how long I wait, I never see a HomeKit Settings panel where I can initiate the downgrade process.

Needless to say, I'm just beyond annoyed at Apple for whatever reason not allowing sharing of Homes without a Hub or an AppleTV under the new architecture, being very far from clear about it prior to upgrading, and being all in your face everywhere pushing you to upgrade!

Thanks for any help!

Oct 18, 2023 12:40 PM in response to Frenkieboy

I realize this is a later response, but hopefully it will help someone.

I also had the issue where I have no Home app option in settings. It turns out you have to do the following:

1. click the link at the beginning of this thread and follow those instructions
  2. go to settings > general > VPN (because why wouldn’t it be there?? So stupid) and you should see something about the profile thing you installed (I forget what it says). It will say something along the lines of “installs a button to reset Home configuration”
  3. Follow those steps, THEN you’ll magically have a Home option in settings again.
  4. Go to the heretofore MIA Home option in your phones settings and tap the reset home configuration, or whatever it says.
  5. That’s as far as I’ve gotten but I wanted to post this before I lost the motivation to do so.

[Edited by Moderator]

Apr 29, 2024 10:56 PM in response to Frenkieboy

My problem isn't iPad as hub, it's that older versions of the Apple Watch don't support HomeKit with new architecture. And this method still works as of 29.04.2023 iOs 17.4.1. But you need another profile, replace KeepLegacyHome in the link with HomeKitReset, install this/both profiles, then reset the iDevice (Settings -> General -> Transfer or Reset iPad -> Reset -> Reset All Settings) and „Home“ will appear in Settings menu. The rest is as in the first post. Good luck to everyone!

Nov 11, 2023 12:59 PM in response to Frenkieboy

Hey

Sadly I can’t find the option to reset the HomeKit configuration.

Can someone post a screenshot?

I want to downgrade because i want to invite my partner to Apple HomeKit but therefore the app says you need to have a thing like HomePod oder Apple TV. But with the old architecture you could invite people without having one of these things.

It seems that this is a cash crab from Apple. They want to force people to buy a HomePod oder Apple TV.

That‘s really sad.

Aug 30, 2023 7:03 PM in response to Frenkieboy

I'm trying to apply your fix but I'm stuck.

Where is "settings - HomeKit - rest"? On the iPhone where I just installed that profile? I don't see any "HomeKit" settings in the iPhone's Settings. Even after rebooting the phone.

Do you mean "settings" in the iOS Home app? Again, I'm not seeing a red button, or "Reset configuration" option.

I tried your fix on an iPhone 13 running iOS17 Beta and a 2nd gen SE running iOS15.7.2. No luck.

What am I missing? Thank you for your help, ever since "upgrading" to the new HomeKit architecture my whole setup has fallen apart, and now it seems my Apple TV HD no longer works as a hub, even though there was no warning this was an issue.

Any help here is greatly appreciated!

Jun 26, 2023 3:16 PM in response to Amfroid

I'm not sure what this update really does. But it messed up my sharing as well. I ran the profile on my iPhone 13 pro. After that I still couldn't get the automation to work properly. It worked twice, then alle my hue lights were erased again. After that I ran the profile on my iPad pro too. I reset the Hue app somehow, and exported everything again from the hue app (settings>speech assistants>Siri and Apple home). I set my iPad as home hub, although I also have an Apple TV 4th gen. Since then everything works again. Hope this is off some help

Jan 15, 2024 11:23 PM in response to Frenkieboy

This solution worked for me.

For those who are not sure how to do it.

Open the URL via your phone or tablet (IOS Device), and then go to Settings --> install the profile.

First, close the Home app and make sure it is not running in the background. then from the phone setting find Homekit, and click on reset. if you have an older Apple device that uses the same iTunes account, it's better to do it on the older device (at least worked in my case). once you reset the Homekit. go back to the home app and add a new home.

In my case I am using Phillips Hue Bridge at home, I didn't have much trouble since the Phillips app kept the Bridge and devices for me I just needed to add the bridge and then all sensors/lights/devices started showing up. all needed to do was categorize them again in Apple Home which didn't take more than 20 min.

Good luck and thanks @Frenkieboy for the help.

Feb 8, 2024 4:14 PM in response to Frenkieboy

I also downgraded initially, but it didn’t help the problem that I was currently facing. It ended up being an issue with MDS. Eventually, I upgraded to the new architecture and now everything actually works a lot better but II also downgraded initially, but it didn’t help the problem that I was currently facing. It ended up being a issue with MDNS. Eventually I upgraded to the new architecture and now everything actually works a lot better, but I did wipe my home and start clean.

Downgrading HomeKit back to old architecture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.