Found airtag, but can't get info about it

About identical to this question.

Find My sometimes immediately pops up a window trying to connect and add it to my devices (e.g. naming it and seeing a screen saying it was linked to my apple ID), but at the end of the procedure it says the tag is connected to another Apple ID.

If I tap "Identify found item" it spins for a long time and eventually comes back with "Could not find items. An unknown error occurred. Please try again in a few minutes. If the problem persists..." etc. I've reset it by taking the cover off and on 5 times but that made no difference.

I do not get the options posted in one of the replies "Items detected with you - Identify unknown airtag" or "Learn about this airtag". I'm using an iPad which I don't normally carry around with me.

Is there anything else I can do on my end to find more information? If not, should I just bring it to an Apple store so they can figure out the owner and return it?

AirTag

Posted on Jun 17, 2023 8:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 9:06 AM

Thank you for the reply. As mentioned I have an iPad not an iPhone. Touching the tag to the iPad did not bring up a Safari prompt, whether or not I had Safari open.

I've spoken with a former Apple employee who tells me the tag is most likely defective, so I'll just throw it away.

Similar questions

3 replies

Jun 18, 2023 2:26 AM in response to fallinghawks_

To identify the owner of a found AirTag, follow this procedure:

https://appletoolbox.com/how-to-return-airtag-to-original-owner/

If you need assistance, the technicians at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store will be delighted to assist:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Attempting to reset the AirTag before trying to identify the owner won’t have helped.

Found airtag, but can't get info about it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.