Can't connect in a hotel

When I check into a hotel (true for multiple hotels), I can connect to their WiFi, but my MBP (OS 13.3.1) won't connect to their network, so no login screen appears. The hotel's IT team can find my individual machine and authorize it, and I am then fine. Restarting does not help. The IT team wondered if it was my DNS settings. Any help would be appreciated. Bob

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 3:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 6:13 AM

Open a Browser window and enter a known-good all-numeric Internet address such as 1.1.1.1, which is the splash page for Cloudflare**

Since you don't need a DNS lookup, your packet will actually be sent, and the Hotel/Airport/Public-Wi-Fi will intercept it and send you its login page instead.

**CloudFlare is NOT part of the solution, they just have the easiest to remember all-numeric IP address.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2023 6:13 AM in response to Zipity

Open a Browser window and enter a known-good all-numeric Internet address such as 1.1.1.1, which is the splash page for Cloudflare**

Since you don't need a DNS lookup, your packet will actually be sent, and the Hotel/Airport/Public-Wi-Fi will intercept it and send you its login page instead.

**CloudFlare is NOT part of the solution, they just have the easiest to remember all-numeric IP address.

Jun 18, 2023 2:55 PM in response to Chattanoogan

the whole idea of using all-numeric 1.1.1.1 is that it reliably responds with a Web Page, and it is easy to remember on the road.

this gets around the catch-22:

you are blocked by the hotel from doing ANY internet accesses, INCLUDING DNS lookups.

You can't enter apple.com, google.com, Quad9.net, because those names require a DNS lookup, and DNS lookups are blocked, and the Hotel's login page does not display when you try to lookup a DNS reference.

Typing their name is effective as lifting the handset on the landline phone and asking to speak to google.

Instead, you need the [all numeric Internet] Phone number, and you CAN'T look it up because DNS lookups are blocked.

Can't connect in a hotel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.