Apple TV+ on Roku keeps “buffering”/freezing

Is anyone else having issues with the Apple TV+ app on Roku playing for a few minutes and then freezing? The spinning wheel appears as if it is buffering but it never moves in. It’s not my internet as I have VERY HIGH SPEED AND LARGE BANDWIDTH internet. I’ve tried deleting the app, restarting Roku, re-adding the app. Nothing has helped. Contacted Roku and they say it’s an apple app issue. This doesn’t happen with any other programming from any other app on the Roku device. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. I love the programming on Apple TV and want to keep watching it without issue. Thanks!

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2023 5:58 PM

We have a ROKU stick. We are trying to watch Apple TV+ and it keeps buffering when we try to sign in. (before we even get to put in our email.)

The other channels work on the ROKU stick.

18 replies

Jun 25, 2023 6:29 AM in response to maestrobaldwin

The same problem just started (maybe 10 days ago) on my Roku 4200x, and only with the AppleTV+ app (I have Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix too).

If I don't pause while watching a show, it doesn't seem to happen, but once I pause - even just for a moment- I get the buffering spinner too, usually within a minute or so of restarting.

I have the most recent Roku and Apple updates installed, so I have to wonder if the latest one(s) they sent out screwed the proverbial pooch.

I sure hope they fix this frustrating situation soonly! I'd try to report it directly to them but the last time I tried to do that for a different problem I spent 45 minutes before finally getting to an appropriate tech person. Then, despite multiple efforts to describe the issue, they just couldn't understand...

Sep 21, 2023 10:21 PM in response to JusitnK

It sounds like we are the same person. 😆

It doesn't matter which video I'm playing, video keeps freezing as if it's buffering (spinning circle under playback bar), but it never recovers. Each time, I have to back out of the video, and hit play on it again. The app does remember video position.

This is happening regardless of time of day. My TCL Roku TV is wired via its 100mbit Ethernet port. My LAN is gigabit, and my internet speed is 500Mbit. The TV's Ethernet port tests out at 86Mbit, and a speed test on the internet maxes out around 600Mbit almost any time of day.

Finally, the app has been uninstalled / reinstalled in the Roku OS, and the TV was rebooted. Nothing has solved the issue. It's been happening for about a month from what I remember.

Mar 31, 2024 12:32 PM in response to maestrobaldwin

For Roku:

Another user (mygreensocks) suggested this procedure from Roku Support staff, which reportedly helped several users.

1. Remove the Apple TV app,
  2. Shut off and unplug the TV (or streaming device),
  3. Wait 30 seconds,
  4. Plug the TV (or streaming device) back in,
  5. Reload the Apple TV app.

Else try the Network Connection Reset, as mentioned by user Jarieta.

1. Roku: Home﹥Settings﹥System﹥Advanced System Settings﹥Network Connection Reset

If the issue persists after that, then please contact the Apple Support staff for further assistance.

Jan 26, 2024 12:02 AM in response to maestrobaldwin

yes this is exactly what is happening to me and i have been blind to how much in 1 year it went from $4.99 to $10.99 i’m getting ready to cancel it! there’s nothing really to watch and when i do i spend more time trying fix the freezing like buffering exactly how you explained it! I am able to work from home as a customer service rep with no issues 5 feet from the TV that uses the same internet and not at the same time! this is ridiculous it’s taken me almost a week to watch a 2 hour movie!

Apple TV+ on Roku keeps “buffering”/freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.