Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apps won’t update

I created a new appleID on new phone as I switched back from android. I forgot I had an old Apple ID so deleted the new one I created. I have signed in on my old Apple ID just fine but the App Store still wants my old erased Apple ID password and won’t update my apps? I’m signed in on my old Apple ID on the App Store but it’s just when I try to update it wants my password for the one I erased??

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 9:04 AM

Apps are permanently linked to the ID used to download them. If it is only app updating causing an issue, delete the apps downloaded with the other ID and download them again with the one you want to use. If you paid for the other ones then your option would be to use Family Sharing to share them with yourself. However, if you have deleted the other ID then you can't do that unless you can still reverse the deletion.

Since Apple has designed things for a person to have only one ID, you could encounter other issues. While it is possible to sign in on a different account, in particular you want to make sure Find My settings are using your current ID or else you may eventually discover you cannot reset the phone should you need to. In theory you would have done the things in this support article between using a different ID What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2023 9:04 AM in response to Reiki7

Apps are permanently linked to the ID used to download them. If it is only app updating causing an issue, delete the apps downloaded with the other ID and download them again with the one you want to use. If you paid for the other ones then your option would be to use Family Sharing to share them with yourself. However, if you have deleted the other ID then you can't do that unless you can still reverse the deletion.

Since Apple has designed things for a person to have only one ID, you could encounter other issues. While it is possible to sign in on a different account, in particular you want to make sure Find My settings are using your current ID or else you may eventually discover you cannot reset the phone should you need to. In theory you would have done the things in this support article between using a different ID What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Apps won’t update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.