Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Is there a way to Apple Repair an unresponsive ipad (won't turn on or chage) - without erasing it?

my son's ipad won't turn on. it was set not to sync to cloud. Apple Repair says it will be erased if I send it in for fix. But I only want to pay to fix it : to save the files my son had on it (animations and audio recording).

What i'm reading online is that ipad "charging port" breaking is a common problem, and you need to open it and solder the pins on the port.

I'm asking: if i pay $250 for apple repair to "fix" - are they just going to send me a different ipad back? is it expected that they won't fix the ipad i'm sending in (with unique data saved on it).

+ is there any way to assert "do not erase"?

iPad (7th generation)

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 11:26 AM

During repair, the iPad battery will be disconnected - and so doing will unavoidably reset the Secure Enclave (the iPad security chip) - within which the encryption keys, required to access all locally stored data, are stored.

If you don’t have a pre-existing backup, all locally stored will be irretrievably lost. However, any data synchronised with iCloud can be accessed by the repaired device.

For practical purposes, if “repaired” by Apple, in lieu of repairing and returning your existing iPad, you will likely receive a reconditioned/renewed iPad of the same model and specification.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2023 11:26 AM in response to warrenEBB

During repair, the iPad battery will be disconnected - and so doing will unavoidably reset the Secure Enclave (the iPad security chip) - within which the encryption keys, required to access all locally stored data, are stored.

If you don’t have a pre-existing backup, all locally stored will be irretrievably lost. However, any data synchronised with iCloud can be accessed by the repaired device.

For practical purposes, if “repaired” by Apple, in lieu of repairing and returning your existing iPad, you will likely receive a reconditioned/renewed iPad of the same model and specification.

Jun 20, 2023 9:58 AM in response to warrenEBB

warrenEBB wrote:

I'm asking: if i pay $250 for apple repair to "fix" - are they just going to send me a different ipad back? is it expected that they won't fix the ipad i'm sending in (with unique data saved on it).

Yes, that is correct. They will send you a replacement iPad.

+ is there any way to assert "do not erase"?

No. And, no legitimate repairer would ever say they can guarantee that data will not be lost during a repair.

Is there a way to Apple Repair an unresponsive ipad (won't turn on or chage) - without erasing it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.