Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

3 year old ipad not working

I bought an ipad 7th gen in May 2020. It has stopped working. itunes would not back up or restore. I took it to Apple store and they couldn't do anything. In fact genius hadn't seen fault before - screen just goes from back to white with logo, constantly every 10 seconds or so. It won't turn on or off or anything at all. They suggested sending it away for repair, but a) I am going on holiday soon, and they didn't know how long it might take, or if it could be fixed, and b) I didn't feel I should be paying for a repair on a device that was only 3 years old, that spent its time sitting on my desk apart from a holiday it took once a year in a protective case. It has never been dropped or anything. In the end I spent over £500 on a new one, because it obviously couldn't be traded in. Should this ipad have lasted more than 3 years?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jul 27, 2023 10:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2023 10:27 AM

Apple offer a standard one-year limited warranty. Presumably you purchased your iPad within the UK while it was still an EU member state. As such, the iPad will have benefited from a mandatory two-year warranty.

However, under UK legislation, if you can prove that a manufacturing defect to be present when purchased, you have up to six years to make a claim. You should note that the onus is upon you to prove the defect existed when purchased.

At three years or more, you are well beyond your statutory warranty. Beyond warranty, you have benefit of access to paid repair services - and by your description, you have been offered this option.

Many iPads will continue to work without issue throughout their supported lifetime. As with any electronic device, you may be unlucky and experience a fault, or failure, sooner rather than later.

Trade-in isn’t available for any Apple device unless it is demonstrated to be working and without technical fault - the cost of repair typically being more than the potential trade-in value for qualifying devices.

For iPad, in lieu of repairing and returning your own iPad, Apple will generally offer an exchange for a renewed/reconditioned iPad of the same model and specification - at no additional cost. The exchange is much quicker than a repair - and if completed in-store, assuming that a replacement is available, is usually same day.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2023 10:27 AM in response to deedoll61

Apple offer a standard one-year limited warranty. Presumably you purchased your iPad within the UK while it was still an EU member state. As such, the iPad will have benefited from a mandatory two-year warranty.

However, under UK legislation, if you can prove that a manufacturing defect to be present when purchased, you have up to six years to make a claim. You should note that the onus is upon you to prove the defect existed when purchased.

At three years or more, you are well beyond your statutory warranty. Beyond warranty, you have benefit of access to paid repair services - and by your description, you have been offered this option.

Many iPads will continue to work without issue throughout their supported lifetime. As with any electronic device, you may be unlucky and experience a fault, or failure, sooner rather than later.

Trade-in isn’t available for any Apple device unless it is demonstrated to be working and without technical fault - the cost of repair typically being more than the potential trade-in value for qualifying devices.

For iPad, in lieu of repairing and returning your own iPad, Apple will generally offer an exchange for a renewed/reconditioned iPad of the same model and specification - at no additional cost. The exchange is much quicker than a repair - and if completed in-store, assuming that a replacement is available, is usually same day.

3 year old ipad not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.